Chapter 1: Vermaloc

Chapter 1: Vermaloc
838 PD

Our story begins deep in the Vermaloc Woods,
a picturesque autumnal forest where the infamous purple wood trees of Rosohna reside.
Fall has come and the majority of these trees are starting to shed for the winter to come.

On the far western frontier, a cloaked drow figure is running, lungs burning with each gasp and their heart racing as they are chased by the thunderous paws of moorbounder riders. A scouting troop of Kyrn Echo Knights were patrolling the woods to find the fugitive once known as the Shadow Hand.

Bellowing in undercommon the leader of this band the Void Hand gives the orders, "THERE HE IS MEN! Cease the traitor of the Dynasty!"

It was then the cloaked Drow looked back and saw how close they were. No more than a couple of hundred feet. The lavender-skinned Drow known as Essek, fled off the path and onto the autumnal-covered forest floor. His feet crunched on the crisp leaves, too exhausted and magically spent to even float like he normally would. Not very well versed in running across twisted roots and dirt paths Essek was frantic as he could hear the troops closing in. "Gods! Please, not now!!"

He preserved his magic for one teleportation but he had to get away. He couldn't get caught. Not now!
The studies he was doing were vital, it was the most important Dunamancy project he's ever taken on. Far greater than anything Essek had ever accomplished thus far.

Still not thinking Essek was about to attempt a spell which is harder to do whilst on the move. Suddenly Essek tripped on a root which sent him tumbling down a small hill in the forest floor. The leaves uplifted and scattered as the once Shadow Hand winced from the fall but scrambled under an alcove under tree roots. Cast invisibility on himself and quickly tried to control his breath as the heavy paws of the 7 moorbounders closing in.

Hot breaths snarled and snorted as they made their way following the scent of Essek. Upon each was a highly trained Echo Knight of Kyrn. Oddly enough one moorbounder was seating a pair of soldiers. As the soldier from the back leapt off onto the leaf carpet the sound of their armour clanged softly.

Minutes felt like aeons as this Echo Knight approached, Essek was in a cold sweat and all his mind could think of at this moment, where he could be taken and tried was the faces of the Mighty Nein.

His friends.

All wonderful in every shade of colour. Fjord's immense green, Jester's playful blue and the joyful monotones of Yasha. One burning warm shade comforted him the most, a simple yet cosy Widogast orange.

"Caleb...I'm sorry." He thought as the Echo Knight was feet away and as they crouched down he recognised this Drow.
Silence befell Essek as this soldier was one of the most important people to him before meeting his friends.
"TASK HAND THYLESS! Do you see anything?" The Void Hand asked in undercommon once more.
"No sir. Best go on ahead I'll recon this area for signs of arcane." The soldier replied a little indifferent about the hunt.
"Verin, he is a traitor."
"He is my brother! I will not give in to the pressure of lies." Verin said assertively.
"He's not your brother anymore. If your father was around he'd be most disappointed in either of you."
"Well he isn't now is he. Leave me be, Void Hand. I'll do what needs to be done."
With a scoff, the Void Hand whistled and the troop left back on the trail heading West.

Alone, in this small clearing, Verin sits on a singular rock protruding out of the ground and removes his helmet. Freeing his long luscious hair draping his shoulders and showing his slightly more blue undertone purple skin.
"I know you're near brother...can we talk?" Verin spoke in common.

Silence for a long moment until the soft movement of leaves shifted.
"I can tell when you're invisible...you used to do it a lot when we were children. Heh...so you could study in peace. Or catch me with my jam pranks." Verin laughed a little at the old memories. Spotting the movement of leaves as they were stepped on and his head lifted towards the direction.
"Ess? Please...let me see you. I need my big brother..." Verin pleaded. The soft yet deep-toned voice was almost perfect. Unlike Essek who got all the brains in the Thyless family, Verin was more athletically inclined and more masculine compared to Essek's delicate frame.