Chapter 30

The Bowie, Deep Space

The admission was met with stunned silence, and slowly, the room's attention began to flit from assassin to victim.

Fallon kept her gaze on her lap, doing her best to blink away tears as she waited for something to be said. When Blurp started chirping, she got a little burst of hope—surely Adam couldn't ignore that. But after a moment, the chirping subsided, and Fallon glanced over to find the little creature had abandoned his former perch and retreated to the edge of the couch, mouth parted in a little frown as he looked back at his frozen friend.

She waited, praying he'd say something. A snap, a shout, a verbal lashing, she didn't care. Anything was better than this stark, suffocating silence.

And finally, after what felt like eternity, Adam spoke.

"Leave."

The word hit like a punch in the gut, but Fallon was more than happy to oblige him. If he needed a moment away from her, she'd go as far away as the Bowie would allow. It might do her some good too.

But the moment she started to rise, he raised a hand to stop her.

"Not you." Fallon's heart sunk as he turned to the Guardians. "I...I'd like to speak with Fallon alone. Please."

His request was met by blank stares, furrowed brows, and silence, until Peter spoke up.

"Look, man—Adam, sorry—I know you're still figuring some stuff out, but if someone says they were sent to kill you, then that probably means—"

"I know what it means, Star-Lord." Adam's gaze hardened. "I can think for myself. And I'd like to talk to Fallon." He paused to look back at her, though she was quick to avert her gaze. "Alone."

Peter raised his hands defensively. "Adam, really, the last thing we need is someone getting stabbed over—"

"I said I want to speak with Fallon alone." At that, Adam rose from the couch, his hands tightening to fists as a faint glow appeared around them. "Perhaps I didn't make that clear enough the first time."

Mantis flinched, and both Nebula and Gamora went for their weapons as the two men stared each other down. Fallon hesitated, unsure of what to do, before reaching out a tentative hand to Adam's wrist.

"Adam—" He snapped his hand away from her, and the burning sensation in the corners of her eyes began anew.

The tension hung in the air for another insufferable moment before Peter dropped his hands, then his gaze, and turned to his crew. "Alright. You heard him. Everybody out."

The others hesitated, some out of confliction, others out of obvious irritation, but one more warning look from Adam was enough to send even Nebula towards the door.

"You lost." Drax remarked as Peter passed him by.

Peter narrowed his eyes. "What?"

"You lost." Drax's gaze hardened as Nebula and Mantis began to maneuver him out the door. "The warlock has challenged your authority, and you caved. On any respectable planet, that would make him our new leader."

Peter rolled his eyes. "That's not..."

"Don't worry. I will fight him and win back the mantle for you, since you are too weak to do it on your own."

"Wow, thanks."

"Save your gratitude until after I have pummeled the stupid golden—"