10. The Start of Rivalry

Start from the beginning

James just shrugged carelessly, "That isn't really an answer. Hm...", he put a hand on the chin mimicking a thinking position, "Maybe I'll tell her."

With that, fuming Snape took a step closer towards James in hopes to intimidate him, but James didn't even flinch.

"Try it and you will regret it.", the boy whispered threateningly but all of them could still hear it.

Remus didn't like where this was going one bit. Plus, it was very close to the full moon and he knew that he always gets more annoyed and aggressive during that period. His irritation with the group of Slytherins was slowly but steadily growing so he tried his best to just keep calm.

That plan had quickly failed when Sirius took another step closer to Snape, although Remus could see that he didn't plan on actually doing anything due to his calm and careless demeanor.

"What will he regret?", Sirius had a mocking tone to his voice, "The only one here who can regret anything is you being born with that big tower of the nose.", he tapped tauntingly at his own, perfect nose.

At that James, Peter and Remus bursted into laughter. The Snape looked furious while the grim expression made its way on his friends' faces.

But then suddenly, Snape's whole appearance changed from enraged to calm and collected. His frown was replaced by an evil sneer. It looked to Remus like he just remembered something and sure enough the next insult came straight away.

Gesturing with his greasy head towards Sirius, Snape's sneer got even wider, "I see. Having family disappointments defending you. Fitting."

It was like in an instant the whole atmosphere changed. The second that the words filled in the space between them, Remus saw something snap inside Sirius.

He never saw anyone's demeanor change that quickly like Sirius' did at that moment. From careless and slouched boy that was laughing with friends to pin straight and furious, like a panther ready to pounce its prey.

Sirius jolted towards Snape and his companions, thankfully Remus and James had quick reflexes. Remus got a hold on the boy's right arm and shoulder while James did the same on the left. Even though he was small, Peter glared threateningly at the group looking ready to throw fists. Remus just prayed that the smaller boy wouldn't give in to his aggressive thoughts because having to restrain just a raging Sirius was not easy given that Remus was ready to throw fists as well.

Snape just continued to sneer and snicker with the other Slytherins, tauntingly lowering his head towards the curly haired boy, "Hit the nerve, haven't I?"

James scoffed while waving a dismissive hand at the group, "Why don't you just go and find some tissue to wipe that unique nose of yours, seems like you need it, Snivellus."

At that Snape placed a hand to cover his nose in fear that someone would see something, although there was nothing to see.

Peter seemed to have calm down a bit, so he patted Remus on the back, indicating that it was definitely time to leave. While they began to turn to walk away, Peter looked at Snape one last time, "Like only one hand will help.", earning them more threatening glares from the Slytherins.

The four friends made their way away from the Quidditch pitch towards the Black Lake with a bit of a protest from still restrained Sirius. Remus saw a nice tree with big shade looking directly at the lake. Following his gaze, James nodded in support and moments later, the group of Gryffindors was sitting in a shade while summer wind blew making the treetop hum.

After he was able to process what had actually happened, Remus turned to Sirius with a bit of worry seeping into his voice, "You okay?". He was still shocked by the boy's unexpected change in behavior.