Kayla

"What are you going to do?", it comes out as a frenzied statement.

"Your darling bad girl has entered an art competition, and whoever wins will have huge rewards, including an almost guaranteed position at Brown University. However, the artworks have to be originals."

I nod, trying to understand where she is going with all this. I didn't know that Kayla was in an art competition, but I am sure she will win because all her artwork is amazing and genuine.

Alicia continues, "I happen to know two out of the three judges. A little hint that Kayla's work is plagiarized may ruin her chances forever."

My head whirls. There is no question in Alicia's voice. I know that she will not hesitate to ruin Kayla's chance for admission.

"What do you want?", I whisper defeatedly. Because that is how I feel. Defeated.

"I just want a month Aaron", she whispers, stepping closer to me. "A month to convince you that I am the right choice.", her hands are like snakes, slithering around my body, choking my neck. "Just a chance"

If not for the fact that she could ruin Kayla's life, I would have pushed her away. But she does have the ability to ruin Kayla's life.

"Do we have a deal?", she asks, stepping away, her smile victorious.

I manage to choke out. "Deal"

As if resigning me to my fate, the final bell rings. Alicia looks up and cocks her head to the side.

"Off to class darling", she says, leaning forward to give me a peck on my cheek. "See you during lunch"

And with that she skips away cheerfully, leaving me with nothing but a film of lip gloss where she kissed me.

🏈🏈🏈

I stagger from one class to another in a zombie-like trance. Because that is how I feel – dead inside, but a corpse forced to live. Teachers give me odd looks, but they say nothing. Students on the other hand are not so restrained. Some give me knowing smiles, cheering as I walk past, but others glare at me. Steph is one of such people, giving me open hostility with her gaze.

I don't blame her.

When the bell finally rings for lunch, I feel even worse. What was supposed to be a moment of anxiety due to a love confession has become a moment of dread.

I pack up my books, avoiding the students shuffling around me. Keon gives me a look before turning away. He's still angry at me for not telling him about Alicia, but I can't bring myself to explain anything without bringing out the whole story of the fake dating and personally, I know he will disapprove.

I'll give him a few more days to calm down.

Outside, Alicia is waiting for me. She hooks her hand possessively through mine and pulls me towards the cafeteria.

As soon as we make our way through the doors, I feel all eyes on us. All the whispers and chattering that are normally heard die down as everyone turns to catch a glimps of us. The scrutiny I am going through is painful, almost unbearable, bit Alicia is almost oblivious as she drags me along with her to the elite table.

But as we pass the table for rulebreakers, Kayla catches my eyes.

"Stop", I tell Alicia. I hear her take in a deep breath, but I continue. "I need to end things properly. I owe her the decency of a proper break up."

She rolls her eyes as if decency means nothing to her.

Then again, it probably does.

"Five minutes", she says and flounces off to her table by herself.

I am left standing in front of Kayla's table.

Nervously, I walk towards her. Everyone is staring at me except Kayla. I run my hands through my hair and I am shocked that they are sweaty – my palms not my hair.

I feel like I walk a mile before I finally reach Kayla's seat. She is munching on a French fry and she is giving it her full attention. Steph and Quinn are by her side, Steph glaring at me while Quinn looks like she wants to disappear.

I clear my throat and she looks up, eyebrow cocked.

"Yes?"

"I feel like I owe you an apology."

"Oh you feel like apologizing now?", Steph begins but Kayla shushes her.

Awkwardly, I continue. "It was just a fake relationship but now it has achieved its end goal, so I think it would be best if we just parted ways." I am such a liar.

"Parted ways", Kayla repeats.

"Look, we had a deal and now it's over so maybe we can to back to being whatever we were before?"

Kayla laughs. It startles me, that laugh, not like the normal laughter I hear from her. This one is sharp and short.

"Of course, rulebook", she drawls out. "It was a fun game while it lasted wasn't it. I'm glad you and your girlfriend are back together of course. Just the rewards of a successful deal, am I right?"

Her words slap me in the face. This was all a game to her. I was a deal. Nothing more. I am dating Alicia for her, for her future, and she never even cared about me in the first place.

"You're right", I say, setting my jaw. Maybe it is a good thing I didn't confess my feelings. She would probably have treated them just like this anyway. "Well, I just wanted to thank you for a successful deal. It was good while it lasted."

Those were probably the only true words I spoke this afternoon. If I was a horrible person, I would have ended the deal with Alicia just to get revenge. But I still love her, even though she doesn't feel the same, so I stomp to the elite table taking my seat next to Alicia who gives me a peck on the cheek.

Through the cheers from the elites, I hear a chair scraping and turn around to see Kayla storming out of the hall, Steph and Quinn behind her.

In that moment, I would give anything to be able to follow.

Kayla's POV:

I rush off to the bathroom in a furious rage. Steph and Quinn follow behind me but I ignore them.

I rush into a bathroom stall and slam the door shut.

I am Kayla Barnes. I don't cry over a breakup.

So it comes as a shock to me. when. I see two tears drop down my cheeks.

A/N: Wow this chapter made me nearly cry. Alicia is such a horrible person to try and destroy what could have been a perfect relationship between these two.

What are your thoughts on this chapter. Please don't forget to comment and vote. I look forward to hearing from you all.

Also I am finally done with my tests (yayy🎉🎉🎉)

See you in the next chapter loves 💋💋💋