Chapter 9. Dragon's Blood

Start from the beginning

"But in some ways my daughter is right." He agreed. "I've sent envoys to Pentos and Volantis to see if we might find common cause. Ships and men are at the ready. The Stepstones will be settled in time."

The princess thought for a long time whether she should speak, but still the opportunity to prove herself prevailed.

"You have dragonriders, father." Corlys and Rhaenyra looked at her with interest. "I am the rider of the largest dragon in all the Seven Kingdoms, and Syrax is almost the size of Caraxes. Send us."

"It's not that simple, Cerys."

"Is it?" She scoffed. "In my opinion, when your opponents have two dragons, and you only have a pile of ashes who were once your advisors, the outcome of the battle is obvious." Noticing that no one objected, Cerys continued. "You will show strength. Remind people that they should not play with us. We can take ours, with fire and blood."

"You think... very outside the box, Cerys." Viserys tried to tactfully silence her.

"No, I think like a conqueror." The princess seemed completely unaware of the disapproving gaze directed at her. "We are Targaryens. We have power in our hands that has not been equaled since the days of Old Valyria, we must use it."

The room fell into silence and this was enough for Cerys to understand that no one would listen to her.

"Perhaps," said the Hand. "there's some better use for the Princess's talents, Your Grace?"

"Why don't you and Rhaenyra arrange a screening of applicants for a place in the guard?" Her father suggested, but Cerys only placed the bowl on the table with a clang.

"I don't need the protection of some guard. I have Moonborn." She spat out as she left the room.

The girl was late for her meeting with Alicent, who suggested meeting in the Sept. And yet, she was offended that they didn't even want to listen to her. These men were weak and naive, like children, and still had much more power in their shriveled hands than she or any other woman. To be born a girl was already insulting.

They were just vessels. And even when they are told that they are special, like Cerys, like Rhaenyra was told, they are still just a vessel from which they take and take, and they end up completely empty and alone.

"Men are too foolish and arrogant." The princess said as she entered the building, soaked to the skin due to the rain.

"Of course they are, they're men." The frown left Cerys' face and she smiled, as did Alicent. "What's happened?"

"They kicked me out. So be it. They'll still call me back when it's time to fill their fucking cups with wine, because their fragile egos won't allow them to pour the wine themselves." She took off her cloak, resting her face in her hands. "I know these people and I know what they are talking about when they send me away."

"Don't worry about the affairs of lords and kings, princess." Alicent reassured her.

"My mother died less than six months ago, and they are already trying to marry my father again to a new woman." Cerys sighed sadly, approaching the statue.

"Is it bad if the King marries again?" Otto's daughter quietly asked, as if by chance. But she seemed to sense lies in the air.

"You don't go to my father's chambers, do you, Alicent?"

"Of course no." The girl answered and was convincing enough for the princess to stop asking questions.

Alicent walked over to the candles, lit one of them, and then extinguished it. Noticing that Cerys did not do the same, she asked, "Kneel with me."