Chapter 15 : You Ready or Not?

Start from the beginning

Anya jumped in her skin, looking over to the green-haired boy with a watermelon slice stuck between her teeth. She had to admit, he looked pretty handsome in that suit.

Anya pulled the slice away from her lips and sat in on her plate, barking back a playful, "You sure took your sweet time, hm?" As she got a glass of punch.

Damian rolled his eyes, looking down at her full plate of snacks. "Looks like you kept yourself busy." He said, Anya just stuck her tongue out at him.

She took a sip of the punch and coughed a bit, making the green-haired boy raise a brow. "You okay?" He asked, but Anya just nodded. "It's kinda... spicy? I guess?? It looks like there are peppers in here so that's probably what it is," She explained before taking another sip, the punch going down smoother than before.

Damian raised an eyebrow, his mouth showing disgust as he asked, "...You like peppers?"

Anya ignored the burning in her throat—because the drink tasted delicious—and asked her own question. "Does sy-on boy like carrots?"

A smirk appeared on 'sy-on's' lips as he grabbed a quiche off the pinkette's plate, saying a sly, "I do like carrots." Before popping the tart-shaped treat in his mouth.

Anya chose to ignore the fact he stole her snack, (mostly because she had realized she grabbed too much,) and just replied, "Gross, Damian."

Damian rolled his eyes, looking around the party with his hands in his suit pockets. "The only thing 'gross' is that drink you have. I despise peppers, y'know."

Anya finished her drink in one last chug, picking up another cup of the same punch, muttering under her breath as she took a sip of the new cup. "And you also used to despise me, but now I'm your prom date."

Anya immediately realized how the tension between the two stiffened.

And it was going so well too!

But after a semi-long pause, Damian looked back to Anya, stealing another quiche off her plate. "I'll only ever 'despise' you if you keep drinking that devil pepper punch."

Anya grinned, happy that even after she said something stupid, it wouldn't be awkward. "Guess I'll have to be despised," She spoke before drinking the whole glass in one go, making her date yell out a little 'Calm down!' before she continued. "Because this stuff is delish."

Damian watched as she got yet another glass, saying with a raised brow, "Does this little punch addiction of yours mean we have to stay by the snack table all night?"

Anya let out a loud laugh, gesturing to the rest of the room. Everyone was standing around with their own dates, not daring to make an appearance on the dance floor. Which, Anya thought, could barely be called such; it could fit about twenty people tops, and there were about fifty imperial scholars.

"What else would we be doing?" She asked, taking yet another sip, the burning sensation slowly going away with each gulp. "The music is even boring; how do they do that??"

Damian laughed as she dramatically rolled her eyes, crossing his arms as he judged the room they were in. It really wasn't the prom theme he thought of, it was more... business and ballroom.

"Did you expect anything else from Eden College?" He asked, meaning it to be a good thing—the prom was still very beautiful!—but Anya snorted, taking yet another sip of her punch before saying, "You're right. We aren't allowed to have any fun, huh?"

As Damian disciplined her for saying such things about their prestigious school and how he found learning fun, Anya could swear she heard a boy close to them say something to the degree of «Good thing I added that extra 'fun' to the punch then.» in his mind, but if he did, Anya didn't really seem to care too much.

She took another sip of the punch, watching as Damian continued to spew on about what an honor it was to be an imperial scholar and attend this prom, and how they were lucky Eden had even thought to throw such a thing.

Eventually, when Anya finally got a chance to add to the conversation, she said, "Man, I thought sy-on boy wanted to go to prom with Anya—maybe he should've asked his homework instead?"

Damian chuckled, "My homework wouldn't be drinking punch with peppers in it," He noted, but after he reached down to Anya's hand—which made Anya blush an excessive pink—and interlocked their pinkies, he couldn't stop himself from saying with a bashful smile,

"But I still prefer you."

~~~
ONE.

MORE.

CHAPTER.

also when i wrote that "but i still prefer you" i screamed

Published
February, 19th, 2024.

Word Count
1433.
-
Ao3 (15+) - Buttercup_Clouds
Tiktok - Buttercup_Clouds
Pinterest - Buttercup_Cloudss