Mosspaw gazed at her mentor. His chin was high and Mosspaw could tell he was trying to stay strong, but his eyes showed sadness deeper than Mosspaw could comprehend.

"Of course," Spottedleaf answered. "May StarClan light your path."

"And yours, too," he mewed, turning away. Bluefur flicked her tail at Mosspaw from the camp entrance.

She watched her go, knowing that when she returned, her mother would be leader of ThunderClan.

"Bluestar! Bluestar!"

The Clan began to chant as soon as Bluestar returned to the camp. Mosspaw and her littermates ran to approach Bluefur, but none of them could reach her as fast as Oakheart. Her father was by her side and licking her forehead before Mosspaw had even realized she had returned.

"I'm so proud of you," Oakheart mewed, pushing his muzzle into Bluestar's fur. "You will be an amazing leader, Bluestar."

She gave her mate a quick lick on the ear and turned to her Clan. "I have been accepted by StarClan and received my nine lives," she announced. "And now I will name my deputy."

Bluestar turned and hopped on to the Highrock, looking down on her Clan.

"Redtail will be the new deputy."

Redtail's tail curled in delight. He looked pleasantly surprised. Mosspaw admired his modesty. 

"Redtail! Redtail!"

Mosspaw gazed around at her Clanmates. All of them were cheering, the loudest of all Tigerclaw. Darkpaw, a new apprentice, sat beside him, gazing in awe.

He's a good tom, Mosspaw thought. He wouldn't be cheering like that if he wasn't, right?

Mosspaw followed closely behind Spottedleaf and Featherwhisker. They were almost at Highstones for the half-moon meeting. The moon shone high above them, lighting their path.

"We'd better tell them about Sunstar," Featherwhisker mewed. "Though I'm sure the news has spread already."

Mosspaw nodded. A quarter moon had passed since Sunstar's passing. "Didn't a WindClan patrol see you while you were on your way to Highstones?"

"Yes," Featherwhisker confirmed. "And we all know how WindClan likes to gossip."

Mosspaw remembered with a shudder the Gathering from a moon ago. A few WindClan warriors had nearly torn Tigerclaw apart for talking about their attack earlier in greenleaf.

They came into view of the other medicine cats, who were already there and waiting for ThunderClan. They sped up their walking to catch up with them.

"You're late," Yellowfang snorted. "Again."

"We have some news to share with all of you," Featherwhisker mewed, ignoring Yellowfang. "Sunstar is dead. Bluestar is now the leader of ThunderClan."

"We know," Mudfur mewed. "Barkface told us."

"I see," Featherwhisker narrowed his eyes.

"I'm surprised she was accepted after taking a RiverClan mate," Barkface mewed.

Mosspaw looked at her paws.

"Oakheart's been a ThunderClan warrior for many moons now. That's history," Spottedleaf growled.

"There's something else I'd like to do before we get started." Featherwhisker turned to Mosspaw. "It's about time Mosspaw receives her full name."

Mosspaw's fur stood on end. Now?!

"Really?" Mosspaw's paws prickled with delight.

"You responded perfectly to the emergency we had with Halftail."

Sparrowpelt had changed his name to Halftail after losing half his tail, and had retired to the elder's den. Mosspaw remembered with pleasure that Featherwhisker said she had done exactly what she was supposed to do.

"I, Featherwhisker, medicine cat of ThunderClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. She has trained hard to understand the ways of a medicine cat, and with your help she will serve her Clan for many moons. Mosspaw, do you promise to uphold the ways of a medicine cat, to stand apart from rivalry between Clan and Clan and to protect all cats equally, even at the cost of your life?"

Mosspaw saw stars dancing around her vision. "I do."

"Then by the powers of StarClan I give you your true name as a medicine cat. Mosspaw, from this moment you will be known as Mossdapple. StarClan honors your bravery and commitment, and we welcome you as a full medicine cat of ThunderClan."

"Mossdapple! Mossdapple!" The other medicine cats chanted.

Mossdapple let out a trill of joy.

Finally, she thought. I've made it.