Mosspaw's eyes darted to his tail. It was half the size it was supposed to be, and blood coated the tip of it. Mosspaw's eyes widened.

"Lay down," Spottedleaf instructed. "Mistyfoot, go fetch us some wet moss."

Mosspaw immediately got to work collecting the herbs they would need. She got a pawful of cobwebs and a few stems of marigold and rushed back to Spottedleaf's side. She quickly chewed the marigold up and applied the poultice to Sparrowpelt's tail-tip.

"Will I still be able to be a warrior?" he cried. Spottedleaf said nothing.

"Stay still," Mosspaw mumbled, pressing his tail down to the ground to apply the cobwebs. Sparrowpelt let out a painful screech.

White-eye burst into the clearing. "Sparrowpelt! Sparrowpelt, are you okay?"

Sparrowpelt looked at his mate, eyes glazed over with pain. "Is it bad?"

White-eye's good eye darted between Sparrowpelt's tail and his face. She licked his forehead. "You'll be okay," she promised.

His head flopped to the ground.

"What's going on?" Featherwhisker entered the den. His eyes opened wide as an owl's when he looked at Sparrowpelt.

"Everyone who isn't a medicine cat, out!"

Mistyfoot and White-eye reluctantly left. Featherwhisker sniffed Sparrowpelt's tail.

"Marigold and cobwebs. Very good, Spottedleaf."

"It was Mosspaw," Spottedleaf corrected. "I just got him laying down."

Featherwhisker nodded at his apprentice. "Good work, Mosspaw. Give him some poppy seeds. That will be all we can do."

Sparrowpelt sighed deeply. "I won't be able to be a warrior anymore, will I?"

Featherwhisker looked at him sadly. "No."

He closed his eyes. Mosspaw fed him a couple of poppy seeds, and he quickly dozed off to sleep.

"Good work, you two. You did well." Featherwhisker nodded towards both of them.

"Thank you," Spottedleaf purred.

"Can I talk to Mistyfoot?" Mosspaw asked.

"Good idea," Featherwhisker mewed. "Ask her what happened."

Mosspaw nodded and left the medicine clearing. Mistyfoot was waiting outside, her back covered in blood.

"Are you okay?" Mosspaw gasped.

Mistyfoot shrugged. "It's not mine."

"What happened?"

"Badger," Mistyfoot sighed. "Stonefur and Oakheart have gone to chase it off."

"Good," Mosspaw mewed. Awkward silence filled the air.

"I'm sorry about earlier," Mistyfoot mewed. "I was just frustrated. We never see you anymore."

"I know. I'm sorry, too," Mosspaw mewed, licking her sister's ear. "I'll try harder. It's just been hard lately."

"I'm sure there's a reason you're so tired," Mistyfoot pawed at the earth. "But I won't pry. I'm sure you'll tell me when you're ready."

"It's just because it's leaf-fall."

Mistyfoot looked her up and down. "Your pelt is matted and your ribs are showing. Nobody else looks as sick as you. But I don't want to argue. I'm just worried."

Mosspaw swallowed. "Okay. Thank you. I'm sorry."

"I love you, Moss. Take care of yourself, okay?"

"I'll try," Mosspaw promised. She looked back at her pelt.

It really is matted all over, she thought. My ribs are sticking through my fur. I look awful.

"Mosspaw?" A mew sounded from beside them. It was Sunstar.

"Yes?"

"A word in private?"

Mosspaw nodded and flicked her tail goodbye to her sister. "What do you need?" Mistyfoot padded away to the fresh-kill pile.

"I've got a bellyache," he complained. "Can I have some herbs?"

"Sure, I'll get you some." Mosspaw padded into the medicine clearing and took a few juniper berries.

"Thanks," Sunstar mewed, gobbling them up.

He padded off back outside.

"Did you ask if he ate anything?"

Mosspaw shrugged. "No. I'm sure he'll come back if it gets worse."

Featherwhisker nodded. "Let's hope."