Dead Memories

I was 21 years old when I was diagnosed with my disease. Sometimes it's hard to get out of bed. I'm losing my memory every day. Forgetting people I have known all my life. I don't recognise most people.

The doctors say there's no cure for my disease. I'll eventually forget how to breathe.

Then I'll die.

I woke up today to find a man sitting in a chair studying in a math textbook.

"Who are you, and what are you doing in my house?!" I shouted.

"I'm your brother, remember Bella," said the man.

I looked at him. "I never had a brother."

"Yes, you do."

The man held up a photo of us both smiling and laughing.

I nodded slowly.

"Hey Bella, I'm your brother John," he said, looking upset like this had happened before.

He changed the subject quickly. We talked for a while, and then he took me on a walk around the river. Then he led me to a hospital.

"Why are we here?" I asked.

"This is where you live."

The winding halls passed quickly. I recognised the pattern of the tiles, a creaky bed, and an older woman who smelled like cheese. Everything else was new.

"Do you want a glass of water?"

"Yes" I said.

The man left the room to go get the glass.

After a few minutes I see a man walk into my room holding a glass of water.

"Who are you?" I asked

He looked at me "I'm your brother" The man said as he reached for a photo in his pocket. The man looked like he was going to burst into tears, but the man held it in.

 The man looked like he was going to burst into tears, but the man held it in