9. Dealing with The Problem

Start from the beginning

Pushing his glasses up his nose, James laughed, "Well, it's not my fault that this castle is so massive and that each corridor is identical."

Peter gestured around them with his hands, "Guys, let's just ask one of the portraits."

Remus watched as James bumped fists with the smaller boy and turn to one of the portraits, "Yes, smart one Pete. Excuse me, do you maybe know the way to the Great Hall?"

James was asking the portrait of an old witch dressed for some kind of formal event. She was sitting at the dining table probably having dinner.

When she registered that the boy was talking to her, she looked at him with disgust, "You are meaning to tell me that you have made it to Hogwarts, but you don't even know how to orientate yourself? The standards have really fallen throughout the years.", she huffed.

Sirius stepped beside James, putting on a fake smile and even taking a slight bow, "Excuse my friend, it is our first day here madam, I am sorry for interrupting you during dinner, but can you please help us?", Remus saw that he was trying to manipulate the portrait with his impeccable manners.

Although the manipulation would have worked on Remus, the portrait seemed to have a different opinion, "Sorry? You are sorry!? Where is your respect! I can't even eat this food and you dare mention that I am supposed to be dining!? Go away you wicked children! They should have invented a map for dense students like yourselves!", she screamed at them.

"Charming, this one.", Sirius said as they turned away from the screaming portrait. They walked for about five more minutes when they finally saw a familiar face, the blonde boy from yesterday.

"Hey! Anthony! Wait up!", James yelled after the prefect.

The boy turned around and when he recognized them, started walking towards them as well, "Hi guys, having fun on the first day?"

"We would be if we knew how to get to breakfast.", James said with pleading eyes.

Anthony waved a hand at them, "Oh, don't worry, its normal for first years to get lost. Here on the right is Grand Staircase. Go down the stairs until you see the first corridor on the right, that is the entrance for the Reception Hall. From there you will manage easily.", he informed them and continued his way like his instructions weren't the most impressive thing Remus had heard all day.

The boys watched him go in awe.

Sirius was the first one to break the silence, "What the hell was that and how do we remember it?"

Peter just shrugged, "Maybe we do need a map."

Still looking at the end of the corridor Anthony just disappeared from, Remus nodded a bit dazed, "Yeah, maybe you're right."

* * *

It took them about 20 minutes but, in the end, they did manage to get to the Great Hall and eat some breakfast. Remus was fascinated with the selection of food. There was everything from boiled eggs and toast to porridge, from pancakes to fruits and vegetables...

All of them stuffed their plates and started eating. James got the eggs and bacon along with some vegetables, Peter got pancakes with honey while Remus and Sirius both got porridge with fruit. Still laughing at their inability to navigate the massive castle and having to ask the painting for help, Sirius started telling them a story about his family's portraits back home.

The enjoyment was short-lived when they heard a voice from behind them, "Khm-khm."

The four of them looked up from the table and saw the witch from yesterday's Sorting Ceremony, Peter still with the fork in the air.