STRONGER TOGETHER

Start from the beginning

“Seems like your plan is really coming together, then.” He shakes his head.

“I needed you to make us strong enough to defend ourselves against Raphael but…” His expression softens, his eyes reflecting the light of the moon above. “But the rest of this was never planned. I never thought we would…that we would be--” Before he can finish his thought, a familiar voice slices through the night.

“Caden! We need you back at the camp. Now.” Arden calls out in urgency.

“What is it?”

“It’s Kit. When he got injured during Damon’s attack, James treated him and…” Arden shakes, her face shadowed in grief. “Whatever he did, Kit’s not getting better. He’s getting worse.”

“Oh, God. We need to move. Now.” Caden nods.

“If what you’re saying is true, there’s no time to lose.” We immediately rush back to the safe house where Caden’s pack has set up camp. We find Kit, clutching his wounds on a bed, surrounded by other pack members. Caden and I rush to his side.

“What’s everyone looking all grim for?” Kit tries to flash his tell-tale confident smile, but he winces from the pain, barely able to get his words out. “I’ll tell you one thing…worse doctor’s visit I’ve ever had.”

“Kit…” Caden starts but Kit interrupts him.

“I know. You don’t have to say it.” He gives us a weak smile. “I can tell, I’m done for. Nothing you survive could hurt this bad. Just…trying to keep spirits light, you know? Right now this pack doesn’t have the morale for another funeral.”

“Kit, you can fight this. I know you can.” He lets out a pained cough.

“I may not look it, but I’ve done my fair share of fighting under Caden. I know when a battle’s a lost cause, and this is one fight I know I’m not going to win.” Caden takes Kit’s hand in his.

“That’s what you’ve always done, isn’t it? Put aside your own pain to try to lighten the mood for others. I know you’ve never thought much of yourself Kit, but you’ve always been the heart of this pack.”

“Caden…” Kit begins only for Caden to cut through.

“I don’t know how we’re going to keep things going without you.”

“You’ll find a way. If anyone can, it’s you.” Kit winces, clutching his wound. “I really believed Arden and I were going to make it, you know. Always thought I’d be a good dad.” Caden bows his head and the rest of the pack inches forward, grief plain on their faces.

“Kit…” Arden is trying not to breakdown in front of him.

“This can’t be real. It just can’t.” I can even feel Koda’s sorrow.

Kit turns to me.

“Arabella…” As he stares at me, tears sting my eyes. The rest of the pack’s eyes are on me, but I can only stare at Kit.

 “Promise me…promise me you’ll take Raphael down.”He reaches for me, his hand trembling. “I’ve given you a hard time, and I know I have. Maybe it’s selfish of me but…” He winces at his wounds and my throat closes. I know he’s on his deathbed. “Caden chose you. We chose you. Promise you’ll protect them, Arabella. Promise me you’ll take Raphael down.”

I reach out, taking Kit’s hand gingerly in my own and making a promise. To him, to Caden, to the entire pack and to myself.

“I swear I’ll protect them and I promise you. I’ll take Raphael down.”