Chapter 6

The door shut behind me and I nervously entered the cabin. Jack wasn't there yet. Good.

I ran lightly to the table, making no noise and skidded to a halt. I cast a glance around and saw a tell-tale bottle of rum standing upright on the edge of the wood. Lying on the desk was a funny looking map with circles, I turned my head for a closer look but then I heard the door open behind me.

"Hello Jack," I said, without turning. I knew it was him anyway. "Seth said you wanted to see me."

"Aye, that be true," Jack said, coming into the room and walking past me behind the table to a chair.

"Well...?" i said impatiently.

"Well what?"

"What do you want?"

"Ahhhh," said Jack, sitting down in the chair and putting his feet up on the table. "The question is not what I want as such, but what you want."

I frowned and he sighed. "See, i can't imagine that you came on this voyage for self-fulfilment, did you?"

I glared at him and he chuckled. "No I thought not. So I'm quite a curious man and I can't help but wonder what your after"

I sighed angrily then gave in. "Fine."

Jack grinned and sat up a bit straighter. "I need to know what I want most. You have the compass don't you?"

Jacks grin had lessened with every word. "You want my compass?" he said.

I bit my lip. "Yeah."

Jack looked thoughtful for a minute before saying, "Fine. I will lend you the compass and will personally make sure you get what you desire, if and only if you help me."

I raised my eyebrows. "What could you possibly want? You have a ship, rum, a crew, a son. I mean, you have everything."

"Almost everything," Jack put in. "There's one thing I haven't yet accomplished and i will be requiring help. Now do we have an accord?"

He raised his grubby hand and I looked into his eyes. They looked trustful but I wasn't going to take any chances.

"What will I have to do?"

"Help me," said Jack. "Help me find the fountain of youth."