Chapter 3

I could just see through the dark haze, the outline of a boat 50 metres out to sea. I clicked my tongue in annoyance, then took off my hat and coat.

I dived into the water, its coldness taking my breath away. Swimming out strongly to the boat, I could hear the sounds of someone panting and the clunk of a bucket.

I quietly put my hand on the side of the boat and hauled myself up.

"Who goes there?" Said a sharp voice.

"What do you think you're doing, commandeering my boat?" I asked angrily to the stranger.

I heard him swear under his breath, then he grabbed a sword and held it to my throat.

I laughed, though it was not really the moment.

"You don't want to be doing that, mate."

I heard him mutter something else. I caught the word lady.

"What?" I snapped. "Do you think that just because I'm a girl it means I can't fight? That I can't be a pirate?"

"No of course not," said the boy, sounding confused.

I finally saw why he was holding the bucket. There was a small leak in the side of my boat which, I thought, was no doubt from hitting a reef or something along those lines.

Anger pulsed through my head and my whole body, finding its way to my heart.

"What have you done to my boat?" I yelled at him. I tried to stuff a piece of cloth into the hole to stop the water coming in but it was no use.

"For goodness sake, don't just stand there! Help!"

He jumped and immediately began to haul water out but as much as he chucked out, it spilled in again.

The boat began to sink lower and lower until it was sunk beneath us and we had no choice but to swim for shore.

I was trembling on the sand. Soaking wet, with no boat, you'd have thought I would be angry. But I was too tired to be angry.

"Sorry about that," said the boy sheepishly.

I growled in response and I could have sworn I heard him snigger.

"I'm Seth by the way. Seth Sparrow."

"Irina Dalma," I said, trying not to look at him but failing to do so. My ears had pricked up at his last name however.

Sparrow? Maybe he could be a nephew. Maybe a son? He might know where the compass is.

I had to admit, he looked quite simular to descriptions I had heard of Jack Sparrow. Except from his hair was shoulder length and he wore a green bandana instead of red. He wore the 3 pointed leather hat though.

"Listen," Seth said. "Why don't we go and get a drink? It would sort of square things."

His eyes were willing me to go, and to my surprise I gave in.

"Fine," I groaned. "After all," I partly grinned, "you did sink my boat."