Chapter One: Flapjacks and Mirrors

Hunter's eyes slowly began blinking open, observing the room around him. He was in the basement which had officially became his room after Camila decided to adopt him. The room was decorated with posters of Cosmic Frontier and clothes he sewed patches, designed and pictures on. Ever since he moved in he was sleeping soundly unlike before but somehow he still always felt tired. 

He pulled is disgruntled, protesting body out of bed and to his closest. He grabbed his school uniform, changed and then marched unenthusiastically up the stairs but then he smelled flapjacks! One of his favourites and... one of Flapjacks favourites...

Hunter rushed upstairs, feet pounding on the wooden steps. Within seconds he was sat in his seat at the table. Luz sat across from him with her face resting in her cereal, milk bubbling up when she breathed. 

She was pulling some long nights on the phone with her girlfriend, Amity. Amity has been having a rough few weeks as her parents are finally getting a long overdue divorce, and well of course her mom was being extremely difficult. 

Camila served Hunter two flapjacks, he coated them with lemon juice and sugar before wolfing them down. These are so good! He thought happily before, that feeling creeped in. The feeling of grief and guilt wrapped into an ugly, horrible package that dropped into Hunters stomach. I wish Flapjack was here, he loved these, he looked so happy and Luz would joke he was an eating a cousin or something. He could be here, if it wasn't for me. 

Hunter suddenly feels like his breakfast is about to come back up so he quickly excuses himself from the table and locks himself in the bathroom. He kneels, panting for a few moments in front of the toilet before it all comes rushing back up, leaving his breakfast in a gross puddle in front of him. He flushes the toilet, ashamed that he just threw up the meal Camila worked hard to make for him. A burden. 

He gets up, slowly, unsteadily, his legs shaking beneath him. He turns to the mirror, slowly approaching it and starring at his sickly face and Belos' looming figure behind him. A figure that been hiding in reflections, a figure he told no one about. Hunter, remember what I did when you failed me?  The figure said in a raspy echo of what Belos sounded like. You'd hurt me... Hunter winced, images flashing across his mind. What do you do when you fail now? Belos mocked you run to Willow or your new 'mommy' for comfort! Maybe you should continue my punishments so you'll be less of a failure! 

Hunter's mind began to spiral, thoughts of hurting himself as punishment for his shortcomings. But before he could sink to deep a shout came from the other side of the door. "Hunter, come on, it's mine turn in! You've been in there foreeeever!" Luz's voice whined tiredly and annoyed. "I just got in here!" Hunter shouted back momentarily forgetting his dark thoughts. 

Hunter quickly gathered himself and opened the bathroom door, causing a sleeping Luz to fall forward from her resting place- the door. Hunter kicked her in the arm to get her up. "Hey!" She shouted before shoving him out of the room. 

...

Next thing he knew, he was sitting on the grass outside Hexside with all his friends except Willow who they were waiting for. Suddenly he felt a rumble in the ground! Vines flew out of the dirt, grabbing him and raising him off the ground. From the centre of the vines rose Willow. She's become one for very dramatic entrances. "Willow!" Hunter shouted down to the ground while watching, "I'd like to be back on the ground!" 

"Hey Hunter, hey everyone!" Willow shouted as she lowered Hunter and pulled him into a hug. The two of them were still really close even though they were on pause with dating. Willow gave him a quick kiss on his nose before she started talking with the others, leaving Hunter a blushing mess. 

Eventually everyone headed off to their different classes. Hunter was taking positions because it didn't require much magic and he was taking a special class that was very new. A palisman carving class, it was possible now that the trees could grow freely without Belos.