42. {second chances}

Start from the beginning

"today we're gonna practice our front sweeps. on hawk." johnny told them all. gioia winced, she wasn't surprised about johnny's behaviour. she felt bad for the boy, she really did. but at the same time she understood that others may not be as quick to forgive.

"all right." he got up to his feet. "i know i was a dick, but i'm sorry."  the boy had faced some difficulties when he joined eagle fang, unsurpisingly, a lot of people still thought he was a jerk. he chose to ignore the snarky looks or the forceful shoulder shoves he received from his peers. even if they disliked him, gioia barbusca finally liked him and that was what mattered most to him.

"talk is cheap." johnny glared at him, "who's next? seafood, i know you love a good front sweep, i've seen you do about a thousand."

gioia grimaced. he was right, she loved that move. naturally, the girl was hesitant to do it to the boy but she didn't want it to let it show. johnny didn't know what was going on with gioia and hawk, no one knew. they didn't even know themselves. yes, they were back to being friends again but they had kissed a week ago and hadn't talked about what it meant.

she glanced at hawk and he sighed, giving her a nod of reassurance. gioia stepped forward, bent down low and pushed her leg around, sending hawk back onto the ground.

"nice! great technique." johnny grinned, "penis breath, you're up."

their lesson ended up with them taking turns to strike hawk. johnny noticed how gioia would frequently either skip her turn or just land soft blows on the boy.

"sensei lawrence." daniel stepped over, just as gus braxter had punched hawk in the gut.

"yes, sir!"

"may i have a word with you?" he requested.

"all right. guys, everybody take five." johnny told them, he brushed hawk's shoulder with his hand as he followed larusso, "walk it off. looking good, looking good!"

"come on." gioia tapped him, gesturing to the hut where their bags were.

"hey, thanks for trying to avoid hitting me." hawk spoke, scratching his neck nervously, "i think you're one of the only people here that doesn't hate my guts."

gioia gave him a sweet smile, making him even more nervous. "no problem. y-yes it's harsh, but you've got to give it time. you've made it up to me and you just need to make it up to them."

"i just think it's a bit extreme, making everyone beat me up. is this how all the lessons are going to be?" hawk shook his head, reaching into his bag and taking out a water bottle and a coco pops cereal bar. "i mean, walk it off? i'm trying my best here."

as he sipped on his water, he turned to face one of the paintings in the small building. it was an image of two people sparring on a deck of wood while three others watched them; while admiring the art, hawk handed gioia the cereal bar.

"thanks." she mumbled.

"you're gonna need the energy for when we go back to beating me up." he joked, trying to give her an incentive to eat it. it seemed to have worked as a small chuckle came out of her mouth and she peeled the wrapper open.

"you know, that's the sparring deck where mr miyagi's great-grandfather taught karate on the okinawan waterfront." demetri told the two, making his presence known.

"it looks beautiful." gioia gushed while hawk ran his finger down the side of the black, wooden frame.

chris stepped inside, gently pushing hawk's hand down. "yo, be careful with that."

"why, you think i'm gonna break it?" hawk quipped, a smile on his face.

"you already broke a door." chris began, clearly not enjoying the reformed boy's presence. "and you stole mr miyagi's medal."