1|Dead Dreams at 23

Start from the beginning

The reason I was in Gotham was- because I failed at achieving my dream.
Before coming here, I was a ballerina in a reputable dance company, one of the best in the country. But a few months ago, I was involved in an accident.
I wasn't able to continue dancing afterward.

Now I'm here with crushed dreams and leg pains at 23 years old. Part of me wishes I had died in the accident instead.

I wipe away my tears and crush my cigarette.
I grab my purse, taking out a water bottle and my prescribed drugs. I had one for my pain and one to help me sleep.
I took the last of my sleeping medication and lay down.

A few hours later

I wake up with a knock at the door. I sit up as Jim enters the room.

"Hey, I wanted to check if you were awake yet."

"I am now.", I say, stretching myself.

"I just wanted to let you know Barbara and I are going out. And won't be back for a while."

"Is that what you're so dressed up for?" I pat his suit.

He fixes his jacket, "This is my work clothes."

"They finally got you off that horrible uniform. Congratulations, it was hideous." I pat his shoulder.

He chuckles and side-hugs me, "It's good to have you here, Angela."

"Thank you for helping me out, Jim." I smile at him.

"Well, that's my job as your big brother." He shrugs.

I pat him on the shoulder, "And you've done a wonderful job." I look down, "I only wish I was half as good of a sister."

"You're perfect, Angeline. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise." He grabs my hand.

I pat his hand, "Well, you should go before you're late. I have to get my medicine refilled."

"Eh, I'm still waiting on Barbara. I can take you to get that refilled."

"Oh, no. I'm okay. The place is nearby." I wave my hand as I put on my shoes and grab my purse.

"Take my car then." He pulls out his car keys.

"No, you need your car. Barbara could be done any minute. There could be a line or a long wait. I don't want to make you late." I shake my head.

"I insist. Barbara and I can take a cab. It's dangerous to walk alone at night. It would make me feel better if you take my car." He puts his hand on my shoulder as he holds out his keys.

"Okay. If it will make you feel better, how can I refuse?" I smile as I grab the keys.

I drive to the pharmacy and wait in line for a few minutes. But when I asked for a refill for my sleeping medications- I was denied.

"What? No, I need my medication." I shake my head.

"I'm sorry, Miss, but we don't have any approved refills for that medication on file. You could call your doctor or grab some over-the-counter sleeping pills." The pharmacist tells me.

"I can't do over-the-counter medicine; that's why I have my prescription." I tap my pill bottle against the counter.

They shake their head, "I'm sorry, Miss. But there's nothing I can do for you."

I sigh, "Do you know where I can buy some tea I can make at home?"

I follow the directions and arrive at a grocery store.
I searched through the aisles until I found the teas. I stood there searching through the boxes for a while.

They were all cardboard boxes of tea bags, while I usually bought tea leaves that came in bags or tin jars. This leaves me in a problematic situation.
As I was thinking things through, I noticed a man eyeing the tea boxes.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Were you going to get something?" I move out of his way.

"I- uh- Thank you." He reaches for one of the boxes.

He was about to leave, but no one else was in the aisle, and I was desperate for help.

"Perhaps you could help me? I need a tea to help me sleep, but there's so many options. I'm a little out of my element." I chuckle as I shake my head.

"Well, um- if you need help sleeping, you should try this lavender one." He grabs one of the boxes from the shelf and hands it to me.

I smile, "Thank you. I was so lost. You're a big lifesaver."

"You're right to be wary. A lot of these brands are lousy products." He chuckles.

"I should get home now. It was nice meeting you, though. I'm Angel." I put my hand out.

He grabs my hand and shakes it gently, "Edward."

I pay for the box of tea and head home.