Prompt 1 Response

The words echoed in his head as he stared out his bedroom window on that cold December morning; The words that had haunted him for over 3 months now; the words that were spoken when him and his girlfriend split in two.

"You're such a wretched little pig!"
"Do you even know how to spell 'wretched'?"

He walked down to his kitchen, and stared at it blankly. His mother smiled as she walked in, but frowned when she realized how down her son was. "What's wrong?"

"It's Lacey.." He barely whispered, not letting himself cry.

His mother sighed, beginning breakfast. "If you miss her so much, why haven't you tried to get her back?"

"How stupid do you think I am?"
"Well, let's see- you can't ever pass that 10 question quiz in English, you don't know the difference between a DVD player and a radio, you-"

He cut his thought off before he could hear how stupid he was. "She'd never want me again.."

His mother looked at him. "You never know until you try."

He sat there, staring at his scrambled eggs, and slowly started to nod. "But what if she says no?"

"You two were so close." His mother started washing the pan. "Do you really think she isn't missing you?"

"Okay, that's it! I'm nothing than a piece of garbage to you, am I?"
"Do you even know what garbage is? You're so spoiled you have people hired to throw your garbage into the garbage can!"

He sighed as he took a bite of his eggs. "I'm going to go try."

His mother turned around. "Try to get Lacey back?"

He nodded his head slowly. After he had quickly gotten ready, he started to walk out the door until his mother stopped him.

"Now remember, Dean. If she doesn't like you, you have all of college, and the rest of your life to meet a girl. I wish you the best of luck, but just remember everything happens for a reason."

Dean nodded, not paying attention, and ran out to his car, driving down the too-familiar road down to Lacey's house. As he pulled into the driveway, he sighed. He didn't know what he would do if Lacey didn't want him. He got out of the car, and walked up to the door. He looked at the door, remembering all of the times he'd wait here for Lacey, whether they were sneaking out, or going to school.

Regretting it seconds after, he knocked on the door, and big his lip, praying that Lacey wasn't home.
"Dean!" Lacey opened the door, surprised. "Um- what are you doing here?"

"To get you back." Dean whispered, looking at the ground. "Lacey, I really miss you- no that's an understatement. I miss everything we do, Lacey. When I wake up in the morning, it's like I'm looking at half a blue sky. It's like I'm walking around with just one shoe. I've only got half a heart without you. I'm half a man, at best, with half an arrow in my chest. And even though I try to get you out of my head, the truth is, I'm lost without you. 

"I'm so sorry for everything I ever said that hurt you. I'm terribly sorry. Can we just forget about what was said the night we broke up? I mean, let's face it, we both were split in two.. And if you want, we can go have lunch- down by the river! I know you love that place- anyway, we can talk it though. I don't care what I have to do, Lacey- I miss you." Dean's voice cracked. 

"I love you."

As Lacey tok it all in, Dean stood there patiently, trying to figure out what she was thinking. He looked at the ground, praying she'd take him back.

"Get your petty poetry and get out of here, Dean." Dean's head jolted up as he heard the voice of Derek, the football player who'd do nothing but gossip and swear in the back of Dean's old  history class. "You had your chance with her." Derek growled. "She's mine now."

With that, the door slammed shut in Dean's face as he tried to hold in the tears. Dean never cried- the last time he cried was the night Lacey and him broke up. He stood at her doorstep, refusing to believe that Lacey loved Derek. As he walked down the steps and to his car, he turned back around to the house, wiping his tears away with the sleeve of his jacket. "But I love you."