Chapter 52 - The truth behind the heartbreak

Začít od začátku

 "You overestimate that patience I have with you, the patience I have for Fontaine."

 A smile graced his lips, a calm yet cruel smile.

 "As you yourself have said, I'm one of the Seven Sovereigns. One of the seven dragons that had their powers stolen by the usurpers. And my power is in your hands now, is it not?"

 What?

 What is he talking about?

 "That's exactly why-"

 "Tut! Not your turn to speak yet, Furina. Be patient and wait till I'm finished. Now, where was I?"

 A hint of playfulness had slipped into his tone and it was honestly terrifying.

 It was terrifying for me, and even more so for Lady Furina who was being looked down on by him.

 "I don't see any reason for me to care about this nation. You die, I take my power and I'm off, Fontaine be damned."

 "The melusines-"

 "The girls can survive without me. They would actually have it easier without all the useless troublesome people around. As for the Primordial Sea... If I have my full power, I can surely arrange something for them." He seemed to have a retort prepared for anything.

 "What about Duke Wriothesely?"

 "Duke Wriothesely?"

 For the first time, he seemed somewhat stumped.

 He hesitated.

 I could see it, but to Lady Furina who didn't dare look up and into his eyes, this hesitation wasn't visible.

 To her, it must have just been a cold silence. 

 He frowned and closed his eyes.

 By the time he opened them, a painful cold glint appeared inside them.

 "Why should I care?" He spat out.

 It hurt to hear that.

 I felt my heart clench at his words as my whole being filled with pain.

 But...

 It somehow seemed to hurt him more.

 The first of his free hand behind his back was clenched so tightly I thought blood might start dripping out at any moment.

 Wait.

 Is he perhaps...

 "And you know what, Furina? If you die, I might actually stop the Primordial Sea."

 For a split second, the archon's eyes lit up in desperation.

 "But."

 That single word destroyed that faint light.

 "I will personally make sure to send every single person in Fontaine to the next world with you. Don't worry, I won't miss a single one."

 Dropping those words, He started walking towards the door.

 It was only when his hand found its way to the doorknob that Lady Furina found her words.

 "No... No! Neuvillette, you can't! Please, I'm begging you!"

 Never in my life had I heard someone so desperate.

 Not even those begging for their life when death was in sight.

 But I suppose that was only fair.

 She wasn't just begging for her own life. She was pleading to save the lives of her people.