TWENTY EIGHT

CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT
first encounter

     KAORI'S BODY WAS SLUMPED behind a car, heavily panting after running for what felt like an eternity

     KAORI'S BODY WAS SLUMPED behind a car, heavily panting after running for what felt like an eternity. Chishiya and Kuina were hiding behind the car right next to her, the trio forced to split up because of gunshots coming their way.

On the other side of the road, she could see Usagi and Arisu running before being forced to retreat behind a vehicle.

"You'll die if you don't stay focused!" Kuina shouted their way. More gunshots. "Where the fuck are they shooting from?"

That is when their attention caught the large blimp flying in the sky with the game card floating like a lurking threat, "The King of Spades."

The sound of Kaori smacking her lips bounced in the air, "Who's surprised."

Behind the other car, she watched as Chishiya gave Kuina what looked like a juice can, "Here you go. A good luck charm."

But she recognized it as what he was secretly working on in his room before they framed Arisu and Usagi at the Beach. She imperceptibly wooed, damn, was he making bombs?

"What's this? A bomb?"

He pulled out another one, clearly for him. "Use it when you're in a pinch."

The loud echoing of gunshots forced Kaori to look over the car to see Arisu and Usagi carrying an injured man over their shoulders, now becoming the targets of the King of Spades.

She moved out of the way to let them sit behind the car. Her heart dropped at the sight of the injured man, his skin was tinted grey and his eyes had the veil of death.

"You okay?"

Panicked, Arisu made eye contact with Kaori to see she had already understood what had happened to the man.

"Are you guys hurt?" Kuina asked.

Kaori let out a sigh as more people tried to escape, screaming and running until they would inevitably get shot.

"The King of Spades... He's alone?" Arisu wondered out loud.

Kaori avoided a bullet with sheer luck, pushing Arisu closer towards Usagi so she could stay near the car.

"We're screwed here!" Kuina said.

"We'll get shot if we run!"

Honks boomed repeatedly as a car's loud engine got closer and closer. The vehicle stopped right next to the cars they were hiding behind and Kaori gasped when she recognized Tatta and Ann inside, "Get in!"

"Tatta!"

Oh my god, are they actually angels sent from heaven?

"Hurry up and get in!" Ann shouted with her usual calmness.