NINE

CHAPTER NINE
weird world

     "HOW DID you find me?" Kaori asked as she lunged herself into Asuka's arms, "I—I thought you had left with them!"

Asuka reciprocated the hug, wrapping her arms tightly around Kaori's figure, "I would never go without you."

Kaori pulled away, sitting back on the couch, "I'm sorry I yelled at you... That wasn't cool."

Asuka waved her hand, squinting her eyes as a way to say it was already all forgotten, "No, girl, please I needed to be yelled at. It was... kinda stupid on my part to just follow people with no real info or anything."

Kaori remained silent, it was useless to say anything about that considering she had lost her temper enough the previous night.

"Also... you know what yelling does to me," Asuka hinted with a smirk, "Like, on the first game when you screamed at that old man to shut up? I was like, oh my god my best friend is hot."

Kaori's eyes went round and she slapped her shoulder, earning a pained giggle, "What the fuck's wrong with you!"

Asuka innocently raised her hands in the air, still giggling at her friend's flushed cheeks, "Just trying to lighten the mood."

"You're crazy."

Asuka's features softened, her tiny smile glued to her lips but her eyes becoming more serious, "But... this place I wanted us to go to... it's legit. You can trust me on that."

"I trust you," Kaori replied confidently, "But them? I mean... I have a hard time trusting a barista with my coffee order, how do you want me to trust people I don't know to get us out of here in one piece?"

Asuka smiled, thinking about all the times she had seen Kaori leaning against the counter to scrutinize the barista's every move and wincing whenever he did something wrong, "I know that. But I'm sure you've noticed a few of them wore a bracelet, right?"

What a question. Of course she had noticed. However, she had been too deep into her thoughts about escaping the building to really think about the meaning behind the bracelets.

"Yep, I did."

"It's called The Beach," Asuka said, "Aguni gave me the location. They all play games to collect the cards. You still have those from the games we won, right?"

Kaori frowned, wondering what was so important with the cards, "Yeah... Except the last game. I guess Aguni took it for... whatever they're doing over there."

Asuka nodded, "Yeah, I saw him take it."

"I still don't feel comfortable going there," Kaori confessed, "Like... I really wanna get out of here, I do. I just... I don't know, it's kind of weird, don't you think?"

"Kaori... everything's weird here," Asuka said, "I mean, we're literally at your parents house. How weird is that?"

Those words hit her hard. Last time she had been here with Asuka, both of them were still children. She let out a laugh, "Yeah, okay, you've got a point right there."