Can I do your make-up?

Seven-year-old Cassie watched her father as he buttoned up his onyx colored cloak with emerald carvings on it for the day. His hair was a complete mess and his eyes sharp with annoyance at having to arise at such a early hour just for a council meeting regarding the royal ball being held in a matter of few weeks. 

Jude had long since left to train Tristan and get some practice herself in the morning before the meeting.

"What a hassle." Cardan grumbled as he reached out towards his gigantic cosmetics box to beatify his appearance with all his sparkly foundations and blushes. His make-up was something he never allowed the maids or servants to assist in, it was a 'delicate piece of art' as he called it and could easily be messed up if even a little out of proportion.

"Dad? Can I do your make-up for you?" A pipe sounded from the king-sized bed. Cardan looked at its source questioningly. The said source jumped out of the bed rushing towards her father to grasp his hand in excitement.

"What?"

"Your make-up. I want to do it. It will be like we're playing parlor-parlor." Cassie grinned. She had always wanted to do her fathers make-up for him, having inherited his fascination with make-up. 

She had once tried to help Tatterfell do her mothers make-up. Jude didn't mind but her maid had made it very clear that she didn't appreciate the young princess' help. 

Cardan's confusion turned into hesitance as he tried to as politely as possible to decline the offer without hurting his daughters feelings. He miserably failed at the face of Cassie's pleading puppy-dog pout which he had a difficult time resisting against. 

Jude had always disapproved of how much Cardan spoiled and pampered their daughter but failed to understand just how much the princess had him wrapped around her tiny finger. He could just never bear to refuse her, if possible he would give the entire world to her as a present.

"Come on, Dad. It will be fun! I promise. I can also steal Mum's favorite black colored lip-stick for you. I know how much you want to use it, you were constantly staring at her lips last night during dinner when she had it on. She'd never know." Cassie pressed trying to strike a bargain with her father. Cardan's eyes widened slightly at his daughters words. There he was thinking he had actually been subtle.

"That won't be required. You can just use my usual make-up, alright? Use a little darker strokes for the eye shadow." Cardan instructed taking a seat before the humongous dressing mirror, albeit looking highly uneasy, he wasn't used to anyone doing his make-up for him. Cassie jumped with joy as she grabbed hold of a handful of her fathers cosmetics.

"Alright, then. Where to begin, now?" The princess clasped her hands like a professional make-up artist in their rightful position eyeing all the shiny glass bottles. She picked up a tube of hair gel and a comb.

"Let's begin with the hair. Do you want it in your usual style?" She squeezed out the tube in her pale little hand and smearing out it's contents across her palm all the while the High King looked as though someone was wringing out his heart dry of blood.

"Not that much, my baby Sass."

"It's fine, the more the merrier."

"It doesn't apply to this case. I don't want my hair to look greasy."

"It won't! It's just gel. Now just relax." Cassie asserted running her fingers through the black curls identical to her own. Cardan pressed his lips into a tight line as his daughter gently styled out his hair. She was quite good for a beginner, he had to proudly admit.

Probably got it from me

Cardan thought smugly as she spread out his fringes in an artistically messed hair. She had style, it couldn't be denied. 

They then moved on to the foundation.

"Don't dab it so hard, my sweet berry."

"But I'm being gentle."

"It still hurts so just try to be a little gentler." Cassie let out an annoyed huff at that.

"Tatterfell dabs Mum's foundation much harder but she doesn't whine like this. She has much higher pain tolerance than you." 

Cardan opened his mouth to retort but quickly shut it. If he denied that Jude had a higher pain tolerance and dismiss his wife's strength before their daughter and it somehow reached her, his wife might just take it upon herself to increase his pain tolerance.

There's no saying what she might or mightn't do 

Cardan thought with a shudder. 

Blush was a easier affair as Cassie gently patted the golden blush across his cheeks. The eye make-up was the affair with the most conflicts.

"The shades are uneven, my little love."

"That's the smoky effect, Dad. Auntie Vivi always does it."

"More like racoon dog effect. Perhaps you're getting it wrong. Here, allow me to do it."

"No, this is the smoky effect. You're just outdated in fashion, Dad."

"No, I'm not! I really do look like a racoon dog!"

"Stop whining, Dad! Mum didn't raise you to act this way."

"Your Mum didn't raise me and I'm not whining! I'm merely telling you that it doesn't look right. Just do it the usual way."

"Really? But Auntie Vivi said she did."

"You're spending way too much time with Vivienne." Cardan muttered under his breath. After some more back and forth, both had arrived at a middle ground, semi-smoky effect as they called it. The eye shadow was darkened but it still lightened at the ends.

The end product wasn't half as bad, Cardan couldn't help think as he examined himself. He turned towards his daughter who grinned cheekily at him. He grinned back as he picked her up in his arms and lovingly cradled her tucking her head under his chin.

"Do you like it, Dad?"

"It's not bad. Actually it's pretty good. You have taste I have to admit. I'm not surprised though. After all you are my daughter."

***

All eyes snapped towards him in an annoyed glare when he entered the meeting room. He ignored it in his usual well-practiced manner strutting towards his seat at the head of the table beside his wife.

"Well? Where were you? You were supposed to be here an hour ago." Jude hissed at him.

"My apologies, but things came up."

"What thing's exactly?"

"Like catching up with the growing fashion trends. Did you know about the 'smoky effect'?"

"What?"

"It's an eye shadow effect."

"Cardan, you're joking right?"

"It was worth it though. Tell me, my Queen, it does make me look smoky hot, doesn't it?"

"Cardan!"

***

Aren't Cardan and Cassie duo the cutest duo of all? Also Cardan with all his nicknames.

Your author 

XX