0 │PROLOGUE

LASWELL planned to talk to him ten hours before the mission at a coffee shop

LASWELL planned to talk to him ten hours before the mission at a coffee shop. The balmy weather juxtaposed against the anxious storm that stirred within her, so she settled down at a table exposed to the sun for the rays to smother her internal clouds away.

The cafe worked in her favour and currently granted the place all to herself. Aside from the barista at the front, she was the only one tucked away at the other end of the store—it was early enough for most civilians to still be in bed.

She'd been thinking a lot lately. Not just about the operation, but of the two soldiers she cared about deeply.

It had been two weeks since the attack. It was a betrayal that left two of the once seemingly invincible fighters bloody and beaten, one that would have killed them both if they hadn't been found any sooner.

There was a slim chance of survival for them. One was choking on their own blood, and the other kept regaining then losing consciousness. Both bodies had the familiar crimson substance pour out of them nonstop. Discovering them in such a state made Laswell fear they'd succumb to their injuries.

But they survived, and to her surprise, they'd insisted on fighting again right away. Laswell made it her goal to fulfill their only request from that moment on – it was the least she thought she could do to make up for the torture she failed to prevent. She already decided to place them in a group that she knew would do them well.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the pungent scent of cigars that announced Price's arrival. Across from her, she heard the chair scrape across the floorboards.

"What's this all about?" His stern voice tensed her up; she knew it would be harder to convince him if his mood was sour from the start.

Laswell dismissed his stony expression and tried lightening up the mood. "Good morning to you too,"

"Likewise," The dark circles under his eyes made it clear that he was overthinking the mission again, but he still made an effort to act less cranky.

Laswell drew in a deep breath. "I have a proposition,"

"Go on."

"A proposition to add two more individuals to your group."

She placed both folders on the table. A mere glance at the sheets was enough for Price to shake his head and chuckle.

"Kate,"

"You could use the help–"

"We're fine as we are." Price's voice was hushed yet firm; his sloppy grin was the only indication that he was not mad, but rather unamused.

Laswell shook her head to hint how she wouldn't accept his refusal. "Here," she slid the files closer to him, "look through them first, then reconsider."

Price sighed, but complied with her request. He pulled out both portfolios and firmly held onto them. His attention was first on their missing portraits—then he recognized their names.