I See Sparks Fly Whenever You Smile

Magsimula sa umpisa

A voice said quickly from above, 'You are here!' She turned around to find him sprinting downstairs. His hands were white with chalk, which he promptly wiped on his worn-out shirt. 'Before we eat, I wished to show you a gift that I prepared for you.' She widened her eyes. His cheeks were flushed and he was panting from running.

'I pray that the gift didn't take too much of your impressive strength, Quasimodo.'

'Wha- what, no,' he stammered, then looked up in bewilderment. 'You think that my strength is impressive?'

She parted her mouth in amusement. 'Why, you picked me up from the gallows like a doll and climbed the cathedral. You carried me across the gallery, holding me up to the crowds and screaming "sanctuary" at the top of your lungs the whole time. Of course it is impressive.'

He pushed back a stray hair from his face. 'I... am not that strong. Wanting to save you made me act braver than I am.'

'Well, Notre-Dame needs you to ring her bells, and those serving the cathedral should be healthy and well. And as a common gypsy,' she added, putting her palm on her chest, 'it is my duty to serve the Pope of Fools.'

'Esmeralda...' he said, overwhelmed. The heap of praises she was levelling at him were greater than all the ones he had in his life.

'Alright,' she grinned ear to ear, putting the basket down. 'Show me.'

'You need to come upstairs for it.'

She walked towards the staircase with an air of sophistication. Then she turned at him, teasing, 'Please come, and take it easy, this time.'

Esmeralda was finding her new hobby of pulling Quasimodo's leg to be highly delightful. She wasn't aware of the fact that each of her teases was sending his heart into disarray. Happiness made her look even pleasant. The sparkle in her eyes and the baring of her teeth seemed to make the jewels she wore shine brighter. He couldn't help himself from smiling as well.

They stopped at her former sanctuary cell. He opened its red door, and suddenly, her grin faded.

The room was almost the same as she had left it. In a corner were dried strands of hay for Djali. There was the small bag containing nun's gowns that she used to wear. There was the window from which she saw a mob of people attacking the church. There was the spot near it, where she had curled up and cried several times.

She made her seat in that spot. Looking over the windowsill, she saw some crumbs of left over bread kept outside. She had made a habit of feeding sparrows while being there, but surely the crumbs couldn't have lasted this long?

He explained, 'They still used to come after you were gone, so I started feeding them.'

'Oh, thank you.'

'There is no need for thanks,' he begun, then put his hand on his head. 'I forgot that I had kept the gift in my room. Wait for a minute, I will fetch it and return,' he hurriedly said before exiting.

It was then that Esmeralda decided to analyze Quasimodo's behavior.

Likely, the absence of their common offender made him feel better too. But since she had first met him, he always appeared on edge, glancing at her in dismay when she came close to him and stuttering when she talked to him. She knew he was shy, and clearly, Frollo made him feel incredibly inferior about himself. This made him alarmed by any hint of proximity. But was it only that? He was four years elder to her, but unlike her, he had barely seen any man other than Frollo, let alone a woman. She was probably the first female human he had talked to, so attraction was natural. There used to be a time when a smile of Phoebus made her day. Was it the same with him?