"Steve, that's not what it was! We didn't make out and you know how much I like you. Please, let's just talk about this, I'm so sorry. I'd never do anything to hurt you."

"Except that you did. We're not done, I just can't talk about this with you right now. I'll call you later." As Steve walked away, Scottie just stood there watching him, knowing there was nothing else she could do but give him his space. She couldn't help but like him even more because he was willing to talk things through and call her later even if he wasn't up to it now. She drove to her spot, an old abandoned barn off the road from Hawkins, and thought about what she would say to him and how she was feeling. She sat there for a couple hours, crying off and on, until all her makeup was gone so she decided to go home. She drove silently home, no music, no talking to herself, no windows down. She looked out her window as she drove through Hawkins and noticed a little flower shop waiting for customers. She swerved off the road earning her a couple honks and pulled into the scented parking lot of the flower shop.

"Well good afternoon sweet heart," said an older woman with a slight accent, playing in the dirt. "How can I help you today?"

"I need flowers that say I'm sorry, that aren't too girly cause they're for a boy, and I need a big bouquet right now."

"Something go wrong with your boyfriend? Well, that's quite a specific order, but I think I have something that you'll like." She walked over to a vase filled with dainty white flowers. "These are called the Star of Bethlehem. Do you know its story?"

"Yes ma'am I do. The star of Bethlehem guided the shepherds and the three wise men to the manger where our Lord was being born. Is that what this flower means?"

"Part of it, yes. Like the star, it is bright and beautiful. It symbolises new beginnings and important truths. It's often used to apologise for something detrimental, that could destroy the relationship. But like the star, it will tell him that you want to start anew. If you send this by itself, it will be an act of simple yet unforgettable devotion, just like the shepherd at Little Christ's feet."

"We're new in our relationship, do you think it's a bit too much?"

"It depends."

"On what?"

"If you love him."

An hour later Steve opened his door upon hearing the doorbell ring, but when he looked outside, no one was there. Right as he was about to close the door, he saw what had been left on his doorstep. A single white flower, a Star of Bethlehem, and he cried. He stood in the doorframe, looking down on it with tears in his eyes, until he eventually picked up the flower, smelled it, and stepped inside. He dried his tears and dialled her number.

"Hello?"

"Scottie?"

"Steve?"

"Can you come over?"

"Yeah, I'll be right there."

When Scottie pulled into Steve's driveway he was sitting on the porch out front. She walked up as gently as she could, not strutting to draw attention to herself, not cowering as though she was afraid, not casually to make light of the situation, and not heavily as though she blamed herself for everything. But confidently and gently, ready to have a conversation and apologise. She handed Steve a pint of his favourite ice cream and a spoon and sat down next to him with her own. He accepted it without speaking, but she thought she noticed him try to keep a small smile down. They sat, eating their ice cream in silence, for five minutes before Scottie said,

"Steve, I'm so sorry. I know you need your space, so I'll go if you want me to, but I need you to know something first: I never fought with Billy." The mention of Billy's name was obviously not what he was expecting, but it caught his attention and he looked up at her. "I always gave in to what he wanted or he didn't care what I did. So we never fought. We stayed in a stale-mate our whole relationship, and while it may have looked like it worked, it really didn't. I was only temporarily happy, only physically happy, but without any arguments, we weren't wholesome and honest. You make me entirely happy. When I'm with you, I feel happy forever, I feel happy in all the ways one can be, and I know it's okay to be vulnerable with you. You're so honest and so near to perfect that I can be completely myself around you and while I never want to mess up, I'm not afraid to. I'm so sorry for what I did. I never made out with Ronnie or anything else. I kissed him at the end of the game as my final flirt and now I realised I was so wrong in doing that, even if it was just a game. I'm so so sorry, but I'm also so glad that you got upset."

"Don't lie," he said, after she paused. "You're never done flirting." She smiled. "What you did was okay, I know you like playing those types of games because you just have a flirty personality. I'm sorry I got so upset, even though I guess it turned you on." Scottie laughed and blushed. "But next time, I would like to be there so I can share in those experiences with you. I don't have to be by your side constantly, but—"

"Who said I didn't always want you by me? I understand, and thank you for being honest. I like you even more for it. It's not everyday you meet a boy that's man enough to talk about his feelings."

"I only want to talk about them with you. And next time, I won't jump to conclusions or run off so quickly. By the way, thanks for the ice cream."

"You're very welcome."

"And the flower," he said, looking deep into her eyes. She stared back, breathing heavily, but didn't say anything. "It was perfect, and only you would think of it."

"It told you everything I was too scared to say." And instead of asking her what that might be, he knew the thing she wanted right then was for him to lean forward, wrap his fingers in her choppy hair, and give her a solid, gentle kiss on the lips. So that's just what he did.