Nightmare (New Version 2023)

NIGHTMARE

Misty smoke flows from an incense burner the shape of a lotus, filling the Fragrant Palace with a pleasant scent. A dense cloud of fog hangs above the silk draped bed; Intoxicating the two slumbering atop it. Jin Ling and Lan Sizhui sleep soundlessly in the Fragrant Palace.

Slowly, the swirls of smoke pry into the heads of both cultivators. Secretly poisoning them, controlling them from the inside. A thin coat of sweat beads on Jin Lings forehead, a frown stretches across his pale face. In the depths of his mind, his dream (ever so pleasant), is full of white furballs hopping around and his beloved Sizhui giving warm smiles like candy on halloween.

"Jin Baobei?"

Hyper focused on keeping Han GuagJuns rabbits from tearing themselves apart for his affection, Jin Ling hums in question. A tuff of brown fur sticks out of Jin Lings robes, Whats the matter, Sizhui? the soft fur and twitch of nose tickles his arms. He chuckles, carefully removing the rabbit out of his garments.

I I dont feel so good- Jin Ling immediately draws his focus to Shizhui, A-ling - A-LING, IT HURTS!! IT- HURTS! Limb by limb Shizhui falls apart, bloody on the ground. The lingering of pain on his face. Jin Ling feels sick, turning pale with each second he stares. Sizhuis flesh and blood seeps into the ground, wetting the soil like rain. Even the rabbits are stained red with his blood.

Jin Ling, Baobei. I- I cant see you anymore! Where are you? His sunken skull is pierced by Jin Lings sword, Suihua, pinning him in place, WHERE ARE YOU?!

Lan Gege! Is what Jin Ling wanted to shout out. He wanted to yell out to his lover, let Sizhui know hes here, hes here. But everytime he tries to speak, he cant, eyes glued on to the sword. So distraught, Jin Ling doesnt feel his knees crash onto the ground, he doesnt hear the way they creak and pop.

As he gradually drifts out of his state of shock, his chest pounds with fury. Jin Ling trudges toward Sizhui, taking grasp of Suihua, feeling the warm metal underneath his fingertips. He ignores the burning of blood dripping from his nose, the stinging of tears in his eyes, the aching of his knees. Sizhui, Jin Ling breaks down, small sobs coming out of his mouth, I didnt mean to- its his sword, he mustve done this, I swear, love, I didnt do this!

he couldnt have killed Sizhui, right?

Jin Ling doesnt even feel as Suihuas sturdy blade shatters between his palms. The deep cuts barely feel like anything.

"Lan Gege!"

Ear-splitting screeches drown out his screams. The rabbits are levitated into the air, one-by-one. Their small bodies hanging in the air. They all swing themselves around in panic, wriggling until they begin to turn; Like someone ringing out a wet rag. Bones cracked, organs exploded, bodies smushed. Those were the last images Jin Ling saw before he blanked.

Clutching the tattered robes of his lover, fruitlessly, Jin Ling sobs into whats remaining of Sizhuis chest. He cant hear his gentle heart beat anymore. The cavity beneath his ribcage is void of sound. Jin Ling lifts his head to look at the lifeless face of his lover. Even in death, the pain still shows. Jin Ling lets go of Shizhuis robes and cradles his face. Ive got you, dont worry, he gently swipes the pad of his thumb over Sizhuis eyebrows, dipping down to his eyelids, closing them, I know youll wake up, He presses a light kiss to Sizhuis blood-covered lips, you have to wake up please.

He feels light-headed, the rush of emotions pouring out of him. Jin Ling clings onto Sizui, needing to feel him, whats left of him. He sat on the grass cuddling his lover's remains. Crying like there was no tomorrow. Because there wasn't. Jin Ling felt his will to live slip from his hands. Not even Lanling could make him rethink living. Sizhui accepted him for who he was. He found beauty in all his flaws.