Chapter Sixty Nine: The Similarity Of Love And Endeavor (1)

Start from the beginning

Gerard became very strict about boundaries. He would do them a favor only when he had debt to repay her and her family. It indicated that he would carry on with an official public and political relationship with Anata from now on.

"Then, I'll take my leave now."

He turned away from Leila, who couldn't say anything and dropped her gaze. He didn't expect himself to say this, but he had to say it for once and all.

However, Gerard stopped after a few steps. He hesitated for a moment and added.

"If you consider how the Grand Duke would feel... Please don't make this a bigger fuss and return to him."

Gerard obviously didn't like Frederick. However, it wasn't because of his feelings from the past. It's just because their relationship, which had been going on for a long time, had become solid.

On the contrary, he expressed his gratitude to the Grand Duke for approving the unforeseen visit from Chloe. He even accepted the extreme amount of forces sent to escort his wife without hesitation. And also his generosity in sparing Abel, who had pushed Renesia.

So, instead of her, he was concerned by Grand Duke Anata's babbling letter.

"Wait, Gerard-"

Leila stopped mid-sentence when she tried to call Gerard, who was walking away. She was sad to be unable to even call her friend's name.

'Where did everything go wrong?'

Tears welled up in Leila's eyes again. Not only with Chloe, but her relationship with Gerard was faltering as well. It was frustrating and sorrowful at the same time.

"Your Grace... You should go back upstairs now. Your legs must be hurting."

The maid, who was observing Leila by her side, tried to comfort her, but it was no use. She stood motionlessly for a while.

[E/N: honestly, I'm glad Gerard put Leila in her place. I feel like Leila was trying to use any lingering feelings Gerard had to push Chloe into having a close friendship with her again...]

***

It was finally the day of the hunting festival.

Hernia's hunting festival consisted of two events. During the day, the hunting contest was held in the forest owned by the Imperial family, and a banquet was held at the Imperial Palace in the evening.

The royal knights in charge of the hunting competition were busy beginning early in the morning. They headed to the forest before the competition started to prepare for any possible danger.

"Sir, we're ready to depart!"

Anton, the deputy commander leading the knights under his command, reported to Gerard.

Regrets Of A Second Male LeadOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara