He carried Errol to a perch just inside the back door and tried to stand him on it, but Errol flopped straight off again so Ron lay him on the draining board instead, muttering, "Pathetic." Then he ripped open Hermione's letter and read it out loud:

Dear Ron, and Harry if you're there,
I heard Layla is there now, too! Say hi to her for me!
I hope everything went all right and that Harry is okay and that you didn't do anything illegal to get him out, Ron, because that would get Harry into trouble, too. I've been really worried and if Harry is all right, will you please let me know at once, but perhaps it would be better if you used a different owl because I think another delivery might finish your one off.
I'm very busy with schoolwork, of course, and we're going to London next Wednesday to buy my new books. Why don't we meet in Diagon Alley?
Let me know what's happening as soon as you can. Love from Hermione

"Well, that fits in nicely, we can go and get all your things then, too," said Mrs Weasley, starting to clear the table. "What're you all up to today?"

Harry, Ron, Fred, and George were planning to go up the hill to a small paddock the Weasleys owned. It was surrounded by trees that blocked it from view of the village below, meaning that they could practice Quidditch there, as long as they didn't fly too high. As much as Layla would have loved to do that, too, she'd promised Ginny she'd spend the day with her.

Mrs Weasley woke them all early the following Wednesday. After a quick half a dozen bacon sandwiches each, they pulled on their coats and Mrs Weasley took a flowerpot off the kitchen mantelpiece and peered inside.

"We're running low, Arthur," she sighed. "We'll have to buy some more today. Ah well, guests first! After you, Harry dear!"

And she offered him the flowerpot.

Harry stared at them all watching him.

"W-what am I supposed to do?" he stammered.

"He's never traveled by Floo powder," said Ron suddenly. "Sorry, Harry, I forgot."

"Never?" said Mr Weasley. "But how did you get to Diagon Alley to buy your school things last year?"

"I went on the Underground—"

"Really?" said Mr Weasley eagerly. "Were there escapators? How exactly—"

"Not now, Arthur," said Mrs Weasley. "Floo powder's a lot quicker, dear, but goodness me, if you've never used it before—"

"He'll be all right, Mum," said Fred. "Harry, watch us first."

He took a pinch of glittering powder out of the flowerpot, stepped up to the fire, and threw the powder into the flames.

With a roar, the fire turned emerald green and rose higher than Fred, who stepped right into it, shouted, "Diagon Alley!" and vanished.

George went after him, vanishing in the green flames, too.

"Go on, Layla, dear," said Mrs Weasley. Layla smiled and stepped forward, grabbing some of the floo powder and stepping into the fireplace, throwing the powder down.

"Diagon Alley!" and with that, Layla disappeared in the flames.

She arrived in Diagon Alley, stepping out of the fireplace in Flourish and Blott's and joining Fred and George. Soon, people began flooding out of the fireplace. Ron, Ginny, Percy, and Mr and Mrs Weasley.

"Where's Harry?" asked Layla.

"He wasn't clear when he spoke. Mum thinks Harry could have ended up anywhere in Europe," said Ron. Layla frowned, worried.