"But the food'll be good," said Ron with a wide smile.

At that moment, Madam Pomfrey bustled over.

"You've had nearly fifteen minutes, now OUT!" she said firmly.

The Great Hall was decorated just as it was at the beginning of the year, and above them, the stars were twinkling in a cloudless sky. The only thing that dampened Layla's mood was the emerald snake hangings that hung across the length of the hall.

When Harry came in, a few minutes after Ron, Layla, and Hermione had taken their seats, silence fell over the entire room, before everyone hurriedly started talking at once. Harry practically ran to his seat next to his three best friends, sitting beside Layla. Opposite Layla was Hermione, and opposite Harry was Ron.

Professor Dumbledore turned up seconds later, and everyone's attention turned to him.

"Another year gone!" Dumbledore said cheerfully. "And I must trouble you with an old man's wheezing waffle before we sink our teeth into our delicious feast. What a year it has been! Hopefully your heads are all a little fuller than they were... you have the whole summer ahead to get them nice and empty before next year starts. Now, as I understand it, the house cup here needs awarding, and the points stand thus: In fourth place, Gryffindor, with three hundred and twelve points; in third, Hufflepuff, with three hundred and fifty-two; Ravenclaw has four hundred and twenty-six and Slytherin, five hundred and twenty-two."

A storm of cheering and stamping broke out from the Slytherin table.

"Yes, Yes, well done, Slytherin," said Dumbledore. "However, recent events must be taken into account."

The room went very still. The Slytherins' smiles faded a little.

"Ahem," said Dumbledore. "I have a few last-minute points to dish out. Let me see. Yes... first — to Mr Ronald Weasley..."

Ron went purple in the face; he looked like a radish with a bad sunburn.

"...for the best-played game of chess Hogwarts has seen in many years, I award Gryffindor house fifty points."

Gryffindor cheers nearly raised the bewitched ceiling; the stars overhead seemed to quiver. Percy could be heard telling the other prefects, "My brother, you know! My youngest brother! Got past McGonagall's giant chess set!"

At last there was silence again.

"Second — to Miss Hermione Granger... for the use of cool intelligence when involving deadly plants, performing an outstanding spell that saved them all, I award Gryffindor house fifty points."

Hermione buried her face in her arms; Layla strongly suspected she had burst into tears, and she grinned proudly at her best friend. Gryffindors up and down the table were beside themselves — they were a hundred points up.

"Third — to Miss Layla Lupin," said Dumbledore. All of the Gryffindors were on the edge of their seats, extremely eager to see their house points rise even more. "For the use of cool logic in the face of fire when it comes to potions of all sorts, I award Gryffindor house fifty points."

Even more cheers erupted. A faint blush appeared across Layla's beautiful, soft features as she hid her face behind her curtain of brunette locks, getting pats on the backs and high-fives from Gryffindors sat near her.

"Fourth — to Mr Harry Potter..." said Dumbledore. The room went deadly quiet. "For pure nerve and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor house sixty points."

The din was deafening. Those who could add up while yelling themselves hoarse knew that Gryffindor now had five hundred and twenty-two points — exactly the same as Slytherin. They had tied for the house cup — if only Dumbledore had given any of them just one more point.