Chapter 10: Fake Letters & Correspondence

Beginne am Anfang

"Harry, so nice to see you, won't you have some tea?" Harry gulped and silently sat at the table. Dumbledore excused himself and went to the bathroom, leaving father and son together. Harry thanked Snape for the cup of tea, and occupied himself with drinking his beverage; not knowing what to say to Snape.

"The headmaster has told me of your decision, you are to be moving in at Blacks?" the professor said in a quiet but never wavering voice.

Harry looked up, and thought to himself 'when was this ever his decision?' Simply shrugging his shoulders Harry looked back down at the table. Severus seeing the boy shrugging his shoulders quirked an eyebrow.

Harry knowing that the professor deserved an explanation decided to calmly explain the situation. "Um, yeh Professor Dumbledore told me the other day. Sirius was pretty excited, I don't think I've ever seen him this happy. I'm just here to take the rest of my belongings; sir (he quickly added)."

Severus sat there thinking of course the boy would want to be with his godfather. Black, excitable and fun, the perfect companion. He was overcome with a feeling of sadness; his son preferred the mutt to him. In all honesty, who could blame him, he had done nothing but belittle the boy for years. Although hadn't he changed this summer, and proved that he was in fact sorry for his past behaviour towards him. Swallowing back his emotions, Severus sat up straight when the headmaster re-entered the kitchen.

As the headmaster sat back down at the table, Severus excused himself and went upstairs; needing to be away from everyone at this moment. Going to his bedroom, he sat down and put his head in his hands. He had lost his son before, and now he felt like he was losing him all over again. It was his fault the first time, when Harry was a baby and he had begged Potter Sr. to help them. Guilt, and sadness at the fact that Potter and Black had spent more time with his son than he had, but that wasn't entirely true. He had spent the past few years of his life looking after Harry, a boy in which he thought was his enemy's son; life is a cruel bit** Snape thought.

After composing his emotions, he put up his mask and walked down the stairs, just as he was half way down he could hear Harry's laughter; this made his heart flutter (it was not a sound he would often hear from Harry).

"And..... then.. Sirius told me that dad fell right off... his... BROOMSTICK" Harry finished in hysterical laughter.

Severus stood rigid on the step after hearing the last part of the conversation. Holding onto the banister, Severus realised that he truly loved Harry. And after hearing how happy his son was; who was he to deprive him of happiness; happiness that he as a child had none of. Obviously, the boy was happier at his godfather's house than his teachers house. Without a moment longer, lest they wonder where he had gone. He went into Harry's room walking over to the bedside table. There was a quill, a few pieces of chocolate, but the main item that Severus was going for; the journal. Opening it, there were 2 letters wedged inside. Severus understood enough to put two and two together.

Lily was to send 3 letters, 1 to him (which he already had in his possession) and the last two for Harry and the headmaster. Without another thought, Severus grabbed the two remaining letters, replacing them with 3 other blank letters. With the true letters that Lily had written, Severus went back into his room opened the closet and placed the letters in his box of memorable keepsakes. They consisted of valuable items and childhood trinkets; some that Lily had given him. His son would never know the truth, how could he ruin the image that Harry had of his father? Without another thought Severus walked back downstairs telling Harry that he shouldn't keep his godfather waiting and that he needed to pack his belongings.

Whilst Harry was upstairs packing everything in is Hogwarts suitcase, the Headmaster sat at the table, and was looking at the potions master over his glasses; with a knowing look in his eyes.