Chapter 7: Memories lost, and memories found

Start from the beginning

What have I done? The potions professor asked looking up at the ceiling. Trying to shake Potter awake, the professor yelled 'Potter, Potter.... Harry wake up'. Ten seconds later Snape heard a groan coming from Harry.

"Aww, my head!" Harry clutched the back of his head with his hands. He was helped up into a sitting position by Snape, who was kneeling on the floor next to Harry.

"Potter take it easy, you fell and hit your head" Snape said slowly trying to tell Harry, who was closing his eyes, unconsciousness trying to claim him. Shaking the boy Harry jolted up, he started to argue "I want to get up". Snape replied, "You can get up when you are feeling better".

'If I hadn't rushed off maybe the boy would not have been hurt' the potions master thought. Snape never wanted Harry to get hurt, he was just so emotional, he couldn't help snapping at the boy.

"Look Potter, I'm sorry about what happened before. I should have never spoken to you like that." Sighing the professor sat next to Harry on the couch. The young boy turned his body and furrowed his brow in confusion.

"Uhm, professor, what are you talking about?" Snape quickly looked at the boy and explained again what had happened in the afternoon.

"I don't really know what you are talking about sir.... Uh maybe I have concussion?"

"Yes, it seems that you do." The potions master could not help but be relieved. Obviously he should feel horrible that the boy had hit his head, which lead to his concussion. But not that the boy didn't remember their conversation; he wouldn't need to explain himself in regards to Lily. He would not need to talk Potter about how he called his mother that horrible word, which led to them breaking off their friendship. Sighing Snape went and retrieved a pouch which he always kept in his pockets, and took out a blood replenishing and a pain away potion.

The boy from taken the potions had fallen asleep on the couch.

He took the boy into his home, as Black's 'home' was not safe. Since the boy had come to live with him, death eaters had stormed and burnt down Snape manor. Now the boy had fallen down the stairs; he could have bled to death Snape thought. The mass of the situation weighed down upon the head of the Slytherin's shoulders. Sitting down on his armchair, he sunk in upon himself and laid his hands over his eyes. What would Lily say if she were alive? Most likely, she would kill me. One bad decision after the other, Snape thought.

Deciding that there was no point sulking, Snape went to the kitchen and started to make dinner. When the teacher got angsty he would brew potions, however, having no ingredients; he decided to make soup. Two hours later the professor sat at the kitchen table eating a bowl of hot soup. Hearing shuffling from the hallway, the professor put his spoon down. Maybe Potter had gotten his memory back? He thought, cringing.

As the boy walked into the dining room, Snape saw that his eyes were clouded from sleep. Getting up, the potions master poured Potter some soup and motioned for the boy to sit at the table. Eating in silence Snape's shoulders were tensed, constantly wondering whether Harry would remember the book. After Harry did not finish his dinner, the professor recommended that he go have a shower. Using this as a way to distract the boy, the professor stealthily went into his old bedroom and retrieved the book Lily had given him.

Walking around his old room sighing, he quickly looked throughout draws, and his old secret hiding places under the floorboards; in order to make sure that nothing of Lily's was left behind. Hearing the water shut off Snape jolted up from under the bed and knocked Potters backpack onto the floor, his belongings sprawled out.

Looking from Potter's belongings on the floor to the bathroom door which would soon be opening, the potions master dove to the floor gathering then shoving Potter's belongings back into the backpack.