Chapter 6: Welcome Home

Start from the beginning

"As I am sure you are aware, this is my home. I have not been here since I left Hogwarts and inherited what was once known then as Prince Manor; my mothers family's home. This excuse for a house, however, will have to do for now. Since it has been over 15 years since I laid a foot in here, it definitely needs a bit of renovating. For now, however, we need to think. We have lost all of our belongings, and there is no food. Luckily, I have with me a bottle of polyjuice potion, unluckily, I have no other human hair.

Trixy will not be able to come and visit us here, as I have not allowed her entrance into the house wards. For the duration of our stay here you will not call her, she will be staying at Hogwarts and that is final. We will have to cook and clean for ourselves; is that understood?" Harry merely nodded his head, feeling that this holiday was going to be very long indeed. Harry's mind started to drift to Hogwarts when Snape started to speak again.

"For today, I think I had better charm ourselves to look like different people. We should at some point venture out, and purchase some groceries and other basic necessities. However, first I will show you your room, and the facilities." Snape stood up and pointed for Harry to follow him up the stairs. As they ascended, the staircase started to creak with each step they took. Finally, at the top of the stairs, the first door to the right was the bathroom. It was simple and contained a toilet, sink, and a bathtub with a showerhead connected to the wall. The tiles were very bright and old-fashioned; Harry smirked inwardly, looking at Snape as he winced and sneered at the bathroom decor. The first door on the left, Snape did not open, however, he pointed out that it was the spare room which would soon become an office. The second and last door to the left Snape motioned for Harry to follow him into. The room was not that much larger than his bedroom at the Dursleys. It contained a king single bed, desk, cupboard, chest of draws and a lone chair in the corner of the room. It was very plain, with no real character to it. The one good thing about the room was that there was a nice large window which overlooked the backyard, and parts of the street.

"This, as I'm sure you have already guessed is your room. Get settled in, and relax for a little while. I need to go outside and turn on the electricity, water, and gas. Once the plumbing and everything else is working, we can look to going to get some groceries." Snape took one last look at the room, then glided back downstairs.

Harry sighed and sat on the bed, bouncing a little bit to see how comfortable the bed would be. Inspecting the bed, Harry saw that it was dust free, looking at the shabby blanket, Harry was too tired from the past events to care. He decided to lie down on the bed and test how comfortable it was. The bed was definitely worn, however it was not uncomfortable. Springing up from the bed, Harry realised that this could have been Snape's bed as a kid. Looking around the room, Harry searched to find anything that could show that this was Snape's childhood room. There were no signs that this room belonged to Snape, the only smaller objects in the room were the few books that laid on the shelf. Harry strode over and picked up the small 3 books. The three of them appeared to be very worn, which showed that they had been read multiple times.

Sitting back on the bed, Harry read the cover of the first book.

Book 1: Standard book of spells (pre-Hogwarts edition). This book was by far the oldest looking book out of the three. Reading the publishers notes, it said that this book was the last edition to be made. Feeling slightly impressed, Harry laid the book down on the bed and picked up book number 2.

Book 2: Dracula. At this Harry snorted in amusement. Only Snape would be reading this as a young child... Hold on, this book was a muggle book. This definitely proved that Snape was most likely in fact a half-blood. His father probably was a muggle-born or a muggle. From the look of the house, however, he thought of the latter. Put the book down and smirking one last time, Harry picked up the final and last book.