Chapter Seven

Gʅყƈҽɾιɳҽ

✦ .  ⁺   . ✦ .  ⁺   . ✦

"Cazador, please."

Astarion laid on the thin mattress upon the cement floor, listening as a spawn begged his master to be released from their prison. It was nothing new; the new spawn begged endlessly, until they came to realize it was all just a part of routine, living as Cazador's slaves.

"It will take some time, my child. Do not worry."

The door slammed shut, and Astarion opened his eyes. The vampire rolled over, propping himself onto his elbows as he watched the spawn sink to his knees.

He almost felt pity for the man, but he was almost amused as he sat there and choked on a sob, snot falling from his nostrils as he hugged himself. He was purely terrified.

As he should be.

"With time, you'll get used to it." Astarion murmured.

He looked to Astarion. "Get used to this? Being a slave to some monster? You're mad. You're really fucking mad."

He wasn't wrong. There was a trauma bond involved, and he was too afraid to leave, to run away and risk being found and torture again, or killed. But death would be too easy; Cazador would want him back alive.

"We are freed in the night, to fulfill our tasks. It'll be up to you, if you are locked in here more than just the day time. If you've been bad. . ."

Astarion laid back flatly, closing his eyes. "You'll turn out like the others."

He opened an eye as a rat walked across the floor, just inches from where he sat.

The man choked on his breath beside Astarion and he leaned forward, grabbing the rat in his hand. The small animal writhed to be free, squeaking as he held him up.

"See, you've already got the diet down." Astarion said.

And just like that, the man bit down on the rat, feeding on him until the rat no longer writhed and became still in his hand. Astarion could hear the small heart as it slowed, until it no longer had a heartbeat.

✦ .  ⁺   . ✦ .  ⁺   . ✦

Xynaa laid in the field, staring at the dark sky as she counted the stars that littered the atmosphere. The crisp air was cold against her skin, but she couldn't find herself to move away and escape the trance she was in.

She didn't move until she heard the soft crunch of the grass as someone neared. Sitting up, she turned to see Astarion. The man walked towards her, crossing the field to reach her.

"You scared the hells out of me," she said as he reached her. "How did you know I was here?"

"Darling, I'm a vampire. You do realize I have better smell than you, don't you?"

Her cheeks burned as he looked up at the sky, taking note of her stargazing. Xynaa scooted over as he looked down at her.

"Where have you been?" She asked him.
"Busy." He responded. He sat down beside her before leaning back on his hands. "So, this is your infamous spot. It's a little rather cliché, if I'm honest. It's like that one moment in The Field. . ."