how jennie went from oblivious idiot to shameless girlfriend in three days

(It begins, as it so happens, with Jennie being (as she'll admit later) an idiot. A massive idiot, in fact, though Jennie won't quite admit to that to anyone except to Lisa.)

"I think Lisa likes someone," Jisoo observes, and Jennie spins around from where she's been watching Lisa head off to class to gape at Jisoo.

Jisoo smirks.

"She does not!" Jennie protests. It's taken Jennie months to get Lisa from annoyed to overbearing to friendly (by Lisa's standards), and that has involved a lot of dogged persistence and shamelessness. If someone has caught Lisa's eye, surely Jennie would have noticed said person making the effort to?

"Lisa clearly likes someone," Chaeyoung says, exchanging a look with Jisoo.

"Lisa doesn't like someone!" Jennie protests indignantly. The thought alone makes her stomach feel funny and her chest ache in an odd way. "She'd tell me if she did!"

"Maybe she has been trying to," Chaeyoung says, nodding meaningfully, as if Jennie is meant to make sense of that.

Jennie considers that, sulking slightly at the idea. True, Lisa has seemed slightly bothered by something of late. Not massively so, but sometimes, she does sigh slightly, or gives Jennie the occasional disbelieving look. When playing the piano lately, it is true that Lisa has been playing a lot of wistful, almost longing tunes, and sometimes, Lisa has started to say something, then trail off as Jennie looked at her.

Could Lisa actually be in love?

"You know I'm right," Jisoo says, pointing a fork at her. Jennie goes for the adult response, and sticks her tongue out. "What are you going to do about it, idiot?"

Jennie straightens. Sure, the thought of Lisa in love is making her mind churn in weird ways, but she is not Jennie, self-proclaimed best friend of Lisa for nothing.

"If you're right, I'll find out who it is," Jennie says with determination, digging into the lunch Lisa got her. (Really, Lisa is the best, always making sure Jennie gets her favorite meal for lunch even when she has to hurry off to class herself.)

Jisoo actually facepalms at her declaration. Chaeyoung laughs in disbelief. Jennie ignores them both.

They'll see.

*

"Jennie?"

It is near dinner when Jennie finds Lisa in the music room, practicing her piano. As always, listening to Lisa play makes Jennie's mind feel calm and soothed in ways nothing else can, only playing the guitar herself coming close.

"Lisa," Jennie replies. "Want to grab dinner with me?"

"Of course," Lisa says; the expected response. Despite the fact that her family is extremely rich (only beaten by the Baes who are obscenely rich), in the last few months, Lisa has never said no to going out to dingy little fast food joints to grab dinner with Jennie, and often even insists on paying.

Lisa packs her bag neatly away, and falls into step with Jennie as they make their way out of the university. Every now and then, Jennie glances up at her, wondering.

Lisa looks as pristine as ever, her hair neat, her clothes immaculate, her face serene. Even so, Jennie is beginning to think there is something softer about her now than when they first met – of course, back then Lisa told her off for being late to class almost every morning and looked annoyed at just breathing the same air as Jennie.

That has changed. Lisa's behavior has changed a lot over the last few months now that Jennie thinks about it – subtle changes, yes, but changes nevertheless. Maybe Lisa really is in love. That would explain a lot.