Chapter 5

The Harvest
The harvest season  comes such after a laborious series of farm activities. For its said; a lazy man will die his own death.People in this village are great farmers.
It takes a lot of determination  and  patience  to  actually harvest yeilds from your sweat. Ploughing  of land on scorchy sun days or even on rainy days. We spend almost full day in the shamba trying to make ends meet.we cook and dine in the garden ,all to see that the work is simultaneously done.

Samuel has got the taste of it all. How it is so tiresome.
Likewise, this time round have got to give a hand. I graze the cows nearby where I can keep an eye on them as I do the ploughing.
"Don't you stand there holding your cheeks; let me see you keep your hands busy on these soils. make them of use.i never see you dodge the meals!" Don't you be lazy little boy"Grandfather throws a chunk of soil at me while he yells. Collect your minds back here.
I am having  second  thoughts  looking for ways I can escape this hard work; but all in vain. Everyone  got a keen eye on me.
Peter strikes a match box to burn the heaps of grass.
Samuel has never disappointed.
He carried some root tubers; sweetpotatoes,cassava and a bunch of bananas. These are to be roasted in the heap of the burnt grass.

Finally, Grandmother  retires and sits down.just know Grandfather  is next and ultimately  even us lay our hoes. The day's  work is complete. Sowing is for another day.

It's now two weeks ever since, we planted, I can see the millet and corn germinate.
This is gonna be another load .trust me.
Birds of the wild have already noticed. When the shamba has grown to yield. The birds take an inspection.
Anyway it's the life we live;each one of us is dependent  on the other. These birds also feast here.
On the other hand, we didn't plant for the birds, these birds have tamed the scare crows; in fact they have nested in there. And keep a night watch over the garden.
"Joseph! You gat this!" Grandfather  vehemently  says, taking a deep sigh as he walks away to his bed room.
I have another duty too. Grazing  the herds and chasing the wild birds out of the garden.Very frustrating indeed!

Back home! Work is ongoing,  Grandfather is good at brewing. He has called most of his friends to help out in the process.
Last week,  we had harvested some fine bunches of  bananas and keep them in a ditch to ripe. Gladly,  they were all ripe.

"Have you ever made juice out of the bananas?" The conversation  hits up as the men ,children and women peel the bananas . There's a  wooden boat shaped container. Grandfather  usually uses.He crafted it out of mahogany tree specifically  for brewing  alcohol.
We are in the stage of blending  the ripe bananas . Samuel  rushes to the fields to collect fine elephant  grasses for blending  process. The other children fetch water from the wells.
Samuel has learned a lot .this whole time he has spent with Grandfather. Probably  he is to be the successor  to his brewing  business. He has taken good notes that he has mastered every step. Samuel gets into the boat and starts kneading. The grass has been mixed with the bananas to increase  intensity  to squeeze  juice  out.
Fine feet young man! It's the hululations,the beer men chatter. My bones have overgrown and I can't do that  vigorous work.
The juice is filtered and water is added then also roasted millet and sorghum  flour is added.
The labourers are good to go.they would come after a week ;the content had fermented  fully. It's the local beer I say.This is how it's made over here.

It's a tiresome season. I have lost the little weight on me.i look alike with those malnourished kids.i can say.The beer is fetched.The village  drunkards sing praise of the beer.
                        In heaven there's no  beer
                       And that's why we drink it here
                                   When am gone
                        my friends will be drinking my beer

Drink a little! It's  good for your health. They toss and cheer up. This has long been our ancestors' tradition.they sit all late night drinking and storytelling. Getting wasted and gossiping  about their youthful age; how they chased about daughters of men and intimate got

Grandfather:  
Rosette,
My beautiful  wife
Fine neck ,glowing face
Tender eyes ,innocent
Infectious smile when she smiled
Till today
We have grown old
Our love has grown
Over ages
Children she has given
Wrongs she endured
Still together  we are.
I meet you
Our hearts resisted  not
Fell for each other

         Grandmother:
Phillip,
My knight amour
Strong ever
My shield ,my protector
For the creator has given breathe
We have seen so many beauties
All our life
Still loving you
Composed our lineage
My dearest husband
Built solace in me
Forever will be.

I don't  know whether it's  the  beer talking or it's  actually  Grandfather and grandmother having a moment. It's  great joy,a moment like this.i could hear the other drunkards  take stage. Sing praise too. It so much like awakened their memories.They felt young again.
Sammy! More beer here. Samuel has really got this in control.Grandmothers favourite grandson.The two are inseparable when it comes to beer.
Peter and I are composed  in the window taking a good sight.

The millet is due harvest. Yet another season  of ploughing.It's  fun roasting  maize. Every household is engaged.