"Look!" shouted Ron. "They're off. Ouch!"

Someone had poked Ron in the back of the head. It was Draco.

"Oh, sorry, Weasley, didn't see you there."

Draco grinned broadly at Crabbe and Goyle.

"Wonder how long Potter's going to stay on his broom this time? Anyone want a bet? What about you, Weasley?"

Ron didn't answer; Snape had just awarded Hufflepuff a penalty because George Weasley had hit a Bludger at him. Hermione, who had all her fingers crossed in her lap, was squinting fixedly at Harry, who was circling the game like a hawk, looking for the Snitch. Layla's knee bounced up and down, concerned for Harry's safety, especially with Snape refereeing.

"You know how I think they choose people for the Gryffindor team?" said Draco loudly a few minutes later, as Snape awarded Hufflepuff another penalty for no reason at all. "It's people they feel sorry for. See, there's Potter, who's got no parents, then there's the Weasleys, who've got no money — you should be on the team, Longbottom, you've got no brains."

Neville went bright red but turned in his seat to face Draco.

"I'm worth twelve of you, Malfoy," he stammered.

Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle howled with laughter, but Ron, still not daring to take his eyes from the game, said, "You tell him, Neville."

"Longbottom, if brains were gold you'd be poorer than Weasley, and that's saying something."

Ron's nerves were already stretched to the breaking point with anxiety about Harry.

"I'm warning you, Malfoy — one more word—"

"Guys!" said Layla suddenly, "Harry—"

"What? Where?"

Harry had suddenly gone into a spectacular dive, which drew gasps and cheers from the crowd. Layla stood up, fidgeting with her fingers anxiously, as Harry streaked toward the ground like a bullet.

"You're in luck, Weasley, Potter's obviously spotted some money on the ground!" said Draco.

Layla simply glared angrily at Draco, but Ron was angrier than she was. Ron had snapped. Before Draco knew what was happening, Ron was on top of him, wrestling him to the ground. Neville hesitated, then clambered over the back of his seat to help.

"Come on, Harry!" Hermione screamed, leaping onto her seat to watch as Harry sped straight at Snape — she didn't even notice Draco and Ron rolling around under her seat, or the scuffles and yelps coming from the whirl of fists that was Neville, Crabbe, and Goyle. Layla did notice, however, and was busy cheering on Ron and Neville.

"Go on, guys, kick their arrogant butts!"

Up in the air, Snape turned on his broomstick just in time to see something scarlet shoot past him, missing him by inches — the next second, Harry had pulled out of the dive, his arm raised in triumph, the Snitch clasped in his hand.

The stands erupted; it had to be a record, no one could ever remember the Snitch being caught so quickly.

"Ron! Layla! Where are you? The game's over! Harry's won! We've won! Gryffindor is in the lead!" shrieked Hermione, dancing up and down on her seat.

"Wait, really?" Layla stopped cheering on the fight, turning to see Harry with the snitch in his hand on the pitch. "Yes! Go, Harry!"

Layla clapped loudly for the Gryffindor team, hugging Hermione and then turning to hug Parvati in the row in front.

Harry soon joined them.

"We won! You won! We won!" shouted Ron, thumping Harry on the back. "And I gave Malfoy a black eye, and Neville tried to take on Crabbe and Goyle single-handed! He's still out cold but Madam Pomftey says he'll be all right — talk about showing Slytherin!"

"Everyone's waiting for you in the common room," told Layla, turning to Harry with a smile spread across her delicate yet stunning features. "We're having a party!"

"Yeah! Fred and George stole some cakes and stuff from the kitchens," added Ron.

"Never mind that now," said Harry breathlessly. "Let's find an empty room, you wait 'til you hear this...."

He made sure Peeves wasn't inside before shutting the door behind them, then he told them what he'd seen and heard.

"So we were right, it is the Sorcerer's Stone, and Snape's trying to force Quirrell to help him get it. He asked if he knew how to get past Fluffy — and he said something about Quirrell's 'hocus pocus' — I reckon there are other things guarding the stone apart from Fluffy, loads of enchantments, probably, and Quirrell would have done some anti-Dark Arts spell that Snape needs to break through—"

"So you mean the Stone's only safe as long as Quirrell stands up to Snape?" said Hermione in alarm.

"It'll be gone by next Tuesday," said Layla, her dazzling smile slowly becoming a worrying frown.