Stress

Eve's POV

I left Aria and Xi to speak alone while Scara wandered off somewhere. I sat down in a chair and put my face in my hand. I smelt some Sumeru roses and peeked at them. Oh, archons, they look so good. I felt myself inch near them. I hadn't eaten dinner, so maybe...

'One bite won't hurt.' I mumbled

Well, my "one bite" turned out to me eating the whole flower.

'Eve?' I heard a voice say from behind me, and I froze. 'What are you doing?'

'N-Nothing.' I said with my mouth full of Sumeru rose petals

I turned to see Cyno, who chuckled at me.

'Honey, you have a petal on your cheek.' he said as he took it off my cheek.

I blushed from embarrassment.

'Rough night?' he asked me with a small smile as he sat beside me. I nodded as he pulled me into his arms. 'What happened? You only eat Sumeru roses when you're stressed.'

I let out a tired sigh, cuddling into his arms.

'Things are getting super complicated and weird. For starters, Scara and Aria had a major fight because she felt like he was hiding something from her.'

He hummed in response as he issued me to continue.

'That night when she came home...she asked me if Scara was a harbinger.'

'What did you say?'

'I...' I paused and took in a shaky breath. 'I lied and told her she was mistaken. I feel bad because...now they're fighting because I lied, and it just reminds me of...'

I clutched my shirt where my heart was. Cyno gently put his hand on top of mine.

'Eve, that isn't your fault.' he said gently. 'I know you want Scara to move on, but you should let the two of them deal with this on their own.'

'A-And my heart...'

'He's gone, love.' he said softly and gently, putting some pressure on my hand where my heart was. 'You feel that?'

I felt the steady beat of my heart through my hand.

'I do.' I said softly

'Your heart is there and will keep beating because you're safe.'

I felt him hold me tighter.

'I'm never going to let anyone like Alhaitham hurt you ever again.' he responded and wiped away my tears.

'I love you.' I whispered

'I am here for you...always.' he said 

Cyno's POV

I sighed as Eve and I cuddled in silence. I felt guilty that I'd been so busy lately. I've barely spoken to or seen Eve in so long. She was always asleep by the time I returned. I felt like a terrible boyfriend. Especially after seeing her so stressed and alone.

'I'm sorry I haven't been around lately.' I said

She got up and looked at me while cupping my face.

'No need to apologize. You have work, and you're keeping Sumeru safe.'

'But I want to make it up to you.' I said

'You don't need to honey.'

'I might have a way.~' I said, smirking. 'You'll like it.~'

'Hmm, is that so?~' she said, getting the hint

I chuckled, pulling her closer as she giggled.

Tighnari's POV

Quiet...everything was just quiet, and I hated it. I wanted to be distracted by noise so I'd forget her. Just anything to get her face, her laugh, her smile.

***Flashback***

Zara's POV

Another day of working with Tiggy Wiggy himself. I won't lie...I enjoy working with him. DON'T TELL HIM I SAID THAT! He was a bit inexperienced in the field of mushrooms and their poisons. Okay not really inexperienced...he did save me from getting eaten by a Spinocrocodile. In my defense, I was saving a bird!

'Archons Zara! You say you're so smart, yet you nearly got eaten.'

'Rich coming from the guy who nearly got eaten by a bunch of Avidya leopards.'

'Oh shut up!'

'You wanna kiss me so bad it makes you look stupid.~' I teased him

'What if I do?' he countered

'WHAT!?' I said with my face red

'You heard me.~' I said smirking

'Shut up, Tiggy!' I yelled embarrassed

He smirked at me

'Why don't you help me out then?'

I threw a fruit at his face, and he caught it

'Alright, alright, I'm sorry, Cottontail!'

I stuck my tongue out at him.

***Flashback***

I let out a weak chuckle. What are you doing to me, Zara? Why do you do this to me? Why do I feel like I need you in my life? Like I can't live without you? I winced at the light sting of the meds she gave me as I applied them to my scars.

"Well, it'll hurt less if you are more focused on where you're putting your hand! You have to be slow and steady when applying it. Alright, let me do it."

"You're being very casual when seeing me shirtless."

"Hah, you really do think you're all that. Tiggy, I'm a doctor. I've done this before...well not really but that doesn't matter."

I shook my head trying to get the thought out of my head and winced again at the pain. This pain however wasn't from my scars...it was from my heart. It yearned for her...I sighed.

'There's no denying it...I love her. I'm in love with that crazy bunny.' I muttered to myself as my ears lowered 'And I'm never going to see you again.'

'Master Tighnari?' I heard a knock on my door and I quickly composed myself

'Yes?'

'I'm here to report another forest fire in the Avidya Forest...also it seemed to have burnt a hut down.'

'A hut?'

'Yes but there were no survivors. At least no bodies...but we found this.' the forest ranger said holding up a feather and it looked like one of Jewel's

'Give me that.' I said quickly taking it from his hand 'I will study it and search for any survivors and report to me.'

The forest ranger nodded in response and I examined the feather. It had that smell again...A smell of another fox. The same smell I'd smelt near Zara's hut...the same smell I smelt on Zara herself. Maybe I was just possesive but I didn't like any other fox touching her. I don't know why but I felt like this fox had some kind of malicious intent. Maybe he was the one threatening her? Maybe he's the reason Zara left me forever.