"Masaomi, what is it that you wanted to discuss with us? It seems very urgent." Mr. Yamaguchi asked awkwardly to my father. 

"Kohaku, yes, it is something important. I won't beat around the bushes and put it to you directly. However, first, I would like to emphasize that this won't affect any of our business agreements and our personal matters should not get in the way of our professionalism." 

"All right then, continue." Both Mr and Mrs Yamaguchi looked anxious waiting for my father to continue. 

"Before that is your daughter available? I would like for her to join us." 

"Of course, I will call her." Mrs Yamaguchi stood up and not long after she returned with a rather confused Kaori. The girl looked surprised and scared seeing me and my father in her house. We haven't properly spoken to one another after the incident. I had enough of her childishness and wanted to stay out of it. 

"Good afternoon Mr. Akashi, Sei-kun..." I just nodded at her as she sat next to her mother with her lowered. 

"Kaori is here, so care to tell us what is this all about?" 

"Very well. I will make this short. I would like to end the arrangements between our children." 

What? 

"M-my apology I must have misheard that. You wanted to what?" 

"I think I have made myself heard. I would like to end the arrangements between our children, so there won't be any possible union between our families." Mrs. Yamaguchi looked like she had seen a ghost, Mr. Yamaguchi looked wide-eyed, and Kaori looked stunned as she was frozen in her place. I was stupefied when I heard the words that came out of my father's mouth. He couldn't be serious about this, right? My head could not process what I just heard when my father continued talking. 

"The last month has made it clear to me that our children are terribly mismatched. I wish for my future daughter-in-law to be a woman of great character and etiquette and frankly, your daughter has not exhibited any of the desirable characteristics. For that reason, I concluded that it will be a disaster if we proceed with this arrangement." 

"T-This has to be a huge misunderstanding, Masaomi...Our daughter, Kaori, is the perfect girl for your son. She is beautiful and intelligent. She will bring great delight to your family." 

"Beauty and brain are only some of the traits required in an ideal bride. Your daughter's recent behavior proves to me that she is too reckless for my son. She downgraded her family's reputation with the incident involving the daughter of Harold Rhendmons and I refused to have someone like that to marry into my family." 

"B-but...This is not fair at all, you're only letting your judgment determine your decision. I-I'm sure Seijuro-kun wouldn't want that...right?" Everyone looked at me waiting for my response. I was beyond surprised and no words came out of my mouth. 

"See, Seijuro-kun looked as equally stunned as we were. Don't worry, son, you can still marry your princess if you want to and-" 

"My apology, Yamaguchi-san, but I agree with my father." 

"What?" 

"Yamaguchi-san, Kaori, and I have been engaged for more than a year now. Throughout our time together, I found little to nothing in common with your daughter. She is a fine young lady but I don't think I am the perfect man for her. I feel like it will not be fair for me or Kaori if we continue with this arrangement when we both know we are far too different to be with each other. I am sure that she will be able to find someone who will cherish her for who she is but that someone is not me. Please, I ask for you to understand and forgive me." I said, finally letting go of the burden in my chest. I felt terrible for saying this but it has to be said.