twenty three

family

家族

"Miori, listen to this

"Miori, listen to this. Yamaguchi is being expelled because of her troublesome behavior." Emiko said as she played with her phone. It has been days since the incident and I slowly returned to my daily life. We were now on our way to the university being driven by Emiko's driver.

"Expulsion? Isn't that a little too far?" I said and Emiko shook her head.

"Miori, Yamaguchi hurt you on purpose. Not only that turns out she had been paying professors and staff so that she could get special privileges. You know she bought her position as president of most of the clubs she was in. Also, she was harassing and blackmailing other students too. So, I think she deserved it."

"She bought her way there?" I asked, surprised.

"Yeah, talk about the advantage of having rich parents." Emiko rolled her eyes and I looked at the car windows.

"Let's just hope for the best for her," I said, "Anyway, your parents are coming back to Tokyo?"

"Yes, they are. My dad asked me to move back since they wanted to spend more time with me, but I said to give me more time until you moved back to the UK."

"You should move back to your parents' house, Emiko, they missed you and you need to spend more time with your family," I said to her.

"I know, but I can't leave you alone at the apartment. I don't want you to feel lonely."

"We can still meet each other, so please be with your family."

"I will think about it...Also, speaking of family, I just remembered there will be a Family Weekend next Saturday at our university. Most of the students and their families are expected to attend, there will also be an awarding night for best students during the year and...Are you okay?"

"Huh? Yeah, I'm fine, it's okay. What was it you were saying earlier?" I looked at her trying to put a smile on my face. She looked at me and sighed.

"Something is bothering you, care to tell me about it?" I looked at her wide-eyed and shook my head.

"It's nothing really. It is just all this talk about family made me miss mine more. The last time I saw them was months ago when Lena got her injuries and even then it was very brief and the timing wasn't good." I sighed and continued, "During high school, the only time I could ever see my family in person was during the school term breaks. After these years, I couldn't help but miss all the time I spent with them together under the same roof."

"But you're going to return home soon...You can meet them there." Emiko took my hands to assure me.

"I know, I just hope that they can participate in the Family Weekend with me...My family never had the chance to participate in any school family events because I was abroad most of the time."