"Good. You've been offered your dessert, so I will take my leave now."

His nostrils flared at the scent of her blood as his teeth punctured her skin, a line of blood flowing down her arm as he drank from her. The woman moaned, laying her head back against Cazador.

Astarion turned away, but Cazador lifted his head.

"Tell me, my child, would you try her blood, if offered the opportunity?"

The idea of her blood on his tongue was tempting, but the idea of her life slipping away in his hands was stronger. He would not take an innocent's life.

"No."

Turning, he stormed out of the room and down the hall. Astarion ran outside, crossing the yards before entering the woods. He didn't stop until he picked up the scent of a deer.

Sneaking forward, his dilated eyes focused on the deer as he yanked grass from the ground, chewing. It's ears ticked as Astarion moved in.

Leaping forward, Astarion snarled as he locked his arms around the animal's neck, pinning it to the ground beneath him. The deer thrashed around as he leaned in, biting into its flesh. The warmth of his blood flowed into his mouth as he took it in, sucking the life from the animal for his own hunger.

The man moaned as he drank, falling to his knees as he took what he still had room for.

Pulling away, the man raised his head, panting.

Astarion neared the shop when he arrived back to the city. Peering inside the window, he noticed Xynaa stocking the shelves with more books. There were several open boxes scattered around, some already empty.

Raising his hand, the man knocked gently on the window to gain her attention. Xynaa turned her head and looked at him.

Nearing the door, she unlocked it and pulled the door open for him.

He smirked. "Hello, sweetness."

She took in a deep breath as she moved aside to let him in. As she closed the door, the woman turned and watched as he examined the boxes.

"How many times do you get an order a week?" He asked. He looked up to see her pressing a hand to her forehead tiredly.

"Normally, one. But this week, I've had one every other day."

He noticed the look on her face— she was tired. Her eyes were slightly red from exhaustion, with faint bags beneath them. Her hair was a wild mess in a bun on the top of her head.

"Gods, you look terrible. Not really, but you know." He said, looking her over. "Have you taken a rest? Had a bite to eat?"

"No, I haven't had time." She said, bending over to grab more books. Astarion watched, raising a brow as he stared at her backside. As she stood up, he averted his eyes to hers.

Astarion stepped forward and took the books from her hand. "Before you fall over, go get something to eat. I'll take it from here."

"I can do it, it's not your problem."
"No, but I have nothing else to do, obviously." He muttered.

"But I—"
"Shall you go, or do I have to make you?" He asked, his red eyes flickering over her neck. The woman's face reddened and she walked towards the staircase to the loft.

Xynaa took some time to rest upstairs, making herself a cup of tea and to eat. She fixed her hair during that time, and when she finished, she grabbed the bottle of wine and two glasses.

Walking down the stairs, she noticed Astarion standing before one of the shelves, staring down at an open book in his hands. Flipping through the pages, he closed the book and placed it on the shelf.

Xynaa set the glasses down and opened the wine bottle. "What is your favorite?"

Astarion hummed. "That's rather difficult. But if I had to absolutely choose, I'd choose A Life with Necromancy."

She rose a brow. "Necromancy?"

"It's interesting." He said defensively. "Surely you have an odd taste in books. What is your favorite?"

"Easy." She responded. "The Field."
""The Field"? Sounds very cliché."

Xynaa slithered between him and the shelf and took the book from his hand. "You wouldn't know."

Astarion watched as she placed the book back onto the shelf. As she turned, she noticed three boxes were empty.

"You emptied them that fast?" She asked. "I was gone for fifteen minutes."

The man scoffed. "Should you check the shelves, to make sure I've placed them in the right places? Your unsettling attitude and your doubt for me is very disappointing."

Xynaa rolled her eyes as she looked at the shelves. As she passed by and checked, she turned to him.

"I underestimated you."

"Apology accepted."

He reached around her and grabbed the other glass of wine, taking a sip of it. Xynaa looked him over, noticing something on the collar of his shirt.

"Is that blood on your shirt?" She asked him.

Astarion folded the collar over. "I had to eat, before I came."

Xynaa's stomach flipped. "Is it too much for you? To be around me?"

The man pursed his lips as he walked closer. "What, the sweet, delicate smell of your blood? It's very mouth-watering, believe me. But I do have some self control."

"I'm serious, Astarion." She said. "I don't want to make things difficult for you."

"That's. . . Sweet." He stated. "But. . . I'm fine. Truly."

Xynaa leaned against the bar. "You've never had human blood before? Ever?"

Astarion shook his head. "No."

Her heart pounded in her chest. "Do you want to?"

He looked at her. "What?"

She shook her head. "I would be willing—"
"No! Just—no," he cut her off. "As much as I'd love to say yes, I just can't."

"Why?"
"We aren't allowed." He said glumly. She fell still as Astarion stroked her cheek. "I do appreciate the offer, but I'm already risking everything."

Xynaa wanted to question him farther, wanted to uncover what exactly he meant by that. But she knew the more she pushed him, she'd only push him away entirely.

He took the last drink of his wine. "These books aren't going to stock themselves, you know."

As he continued on, Xynaa helped him finish as she fought back a smile.