3. "It's gloinks or the abstracted clown."

Beginne am Anfang

    "No, not really. Last time I spoke to him he was rambling about some exit."

    "But - but wouldn't that mean the exit is more likely to exist, if this Kaufmo is talking about it?" Pomni asked excitedly.

    "It could also mean you have a jumpstart on losing your mind," Jax suggested.

    "what about Zooble??" Gangle called timidly from behind them.

    "Pomni, you should ask him about about it - well - if this was real, because it's definitely a dream," I firmly told her. And maybe lying to myself.

    "Aww cute, she still thinks this is a dream," Jax smirked at me. "I assure you it's not, hot stuff."

    "Why you looking at me like that?" Ragatha demanded. Jax raised an eyebrow at her. Ragatha looked behind her and saw me. She moved out of the way. "Okay. Sooo, wanna check on Kaufmo or what?"

    "I'm fine with doing whatever, as long as I get to see funny things happen to people." Jax threw his arms behind his head but the facade broke when a gloink smacked him in the face.

    "All right, I've had enough of these things." He turned to survey everyone, then pointed at Ragatha first. "You, me, Pomni and Y/n will go check on Kaufmo, which leaves crybaby and hoo-ha to go handle the Zooble situation."

Ragatha laughed nervously,
    "Are you sure pairing them up together is a good idea??"

    "Of course I do." Jax nonchalantly said with a confident grin. "They're the two most mentally stable" Kinger started having a mental breakdown. "And capable characters to be paired together." He continued without noticing a thing.

    "I dooon't think they're gonna be okay-" Jax interrupted me by slinging an arm around my shoulders.

    "Lighten up, hot stuff. Pay no attention to it. Come on ladies, let's go harass the clown."

———

    "So, this is where we all live." Ragatha gestured to the corridor we were walking into. "And where we sleep, even though we don't really need to. But it's nice to take a break from everything and have a routine. Oh, here's yours, Pomni, and here's yours, Y/n."

We stopped at two doors that were on the same side of the corridor. One had my portrait on it whereas the one next to mine had Pomni's.

And to my dismay, Jax's room was right across mine. I had rotten luck. As we kept walking, Ragatha started ranting to Pomni about ominous existence goals and breaking points and I wasn't sure if I wanted to join a conversation that would plant doubts in my already fragile mind.

Jax put an elbow on my shoulder, using me as a stool.
     "Well, guess you're stuck with me all the time. I don't know why, though."

    "Hey.. mind if I ask you a question?"

    "Sure, hot stuff."

    "The doors we walked past... some of them had crosses on them. What does that mean?"

    "Well, after a long time - if some inhabitants don't find coping mechanisms to the existence crisis, they um, reach a certain breaking point like Dollface over there is explaining to Jester. And something really terrible happens."

    "Like what exactly?-"

    ".... Above all the adventures give us something to do while keeping our minds healthy and stimulated." Ragatha finished her conversation and clicked on what I presumed to be Kaufmo's doorbell.