Chapter 6

We enter the venue fashionably late. I am kidding, I did not want to step foot in the venue. I am wobbling and shaking as I walk into the venue. Desmond thinks I'm acting ridiculous but I am not. Mrs. James is going to have my head on a platter before this whole thing gets started.

"There she is. Everyone Lillia Saint-Fleur, the other student representing us at the competition," Howard says. I awkwardly wave but Howard forces me to come closer and makes me introduce myself to everyone. I got introduced to three board members and one of the board members' son who has taken a weird interest in me.

"Lillia." I hear behind me. Mrs James. Great, I'm not going to pass out or anything. Actually passing out is a great plan right now.

"Mrs James," I say as I turn around. "Long time no see."

"My my my. Long time no see. You remember Romy, the boy you like to heavily traumatize." She points to Romy in a blakc tux, looking sharp.

I nervously let out a laugh and so did Howard. I just know she got those board members as far away as possible by now.

"Mom please."

"No, we need to have this talk. What did my son..."

"Mom, now is not the time, please."

"Okay we'll talk later Lillia," She gives me a fake smile and brushes past me. Romy is still standing in front of me.

"I'm sorry about her. I told her not to do this." He walks away too.

I need to find a bathroom. I slip away to find a private area to take a breath. This is going to be such a tense evening. God please if you can hear me and you love me kill me now. I find a private corner with a bench and I quickly sit down. I breathe in and out, just taking a small moment to clear my head.

"There you are. I thought you were trying to escape from me," Payton, the board member's son says to me.

"I just needed a few minutes to myself."

"Want a drink?"

"I'm underage."

"It's okay I won't tell no one. Take the edge o ff." I don't like this

"No thank you! Let's join the others." I get up and try to walk away but he stops me in my tracks. I nervously laugh "Peyton I don't drink especially on important nights."

"Just one sip."

"Are we forcing teenagers to take just one sip?" Mrs James asks. Great.

"She said she felt anxious. I was trying to take the edge o ff."

"With alcohol? Get on Peyton." Peyton leaves and I try to immediately follow. But Mrs James stops me with her purse. I gulp. "So?"

"Hi," I say nervously.

"You know a couple of weekends ago when my son took you out to dinner after playing at his show he was so excited. Happy that he's getting his friend back. He was also very happy when he found out he was working with you and when you were crying about your dead mother in that corner and he gave you a hug he was excited about that too." She puts the emphasis on the dead mother. "Now it's like the day you stopped talking to him in high school. He's devastated and depressed."

"I had and have my reasons Mrs. James."

"And yet you keep those so-called reasons hidden. What did he do to you? Did he say something? Matter of fact I don't care about those reasons. Don't lead Romy on. Don't make him think he's getting his best friend back when you are going to just turn on him. Pick a road and stick with it. Now if you hurt him again trust you will be dealt with and accordingly." She turns on her heels and leaves, thank God. I learned everything about threatening from her. She can be so warm but the moment you mess with someone she cares about she turns cold, like ice.