37

The long awaited conversation was finally about to happen. The conversation that the three brothers deeply wanted, but also truly dreaded. This conversation would make or break them.

Joe trailed into Kevin's home, dragging his feet as slowly as possible. He had no idea what to expect when he walked through the door, so he had mentally prepared for anything. His dream scenario, was for the three of them to finally talk through everything they needed to, with no complications. But he knew that would never be an option. So instead, he hoped and prayed there would be no more fallouts. He couldn't stand loosing his brothers anymore than he already had.

"What time d'you call this?" Kevin called out to him, once he noticed his brother wander into the lounge.

"Fashionably late, Kev." Joe winked, with a slight smirk on his lips. But then he saw his younger brother, and he couldn't help but feel his stomach turn.

He didn't know why Nick made him feel anxious. They used to do everything together, but now he was used to the constant rejection from him, and he didn't want to go through that again.

Joe cleared his throat as he made his way towards the others, sinking down onto the couch beside Kevin, with Nick sat opposite. He patted Joe on the shoulder, giving him a reassuring smile, but the truth was- Kevin was just as worried. None of them had any idea how the scenario was going to play out.

"Look-" Nick began, glancing over at his brothers who both looked back at him. "We don't have to agree on anything. I just want you to hear me out."

Kevin nodded, feeling slightly awkward but didn't let it show. Joe leant forward, leaning on his knees as he waited to hear what Nick had to say.

"I'm sorry." He mumbled, after a moment of silence. "I'm sorry for everything- I had no right to ruin us the way I did."

Joe raised his eyebrows, but decided to keep quiet. All this time he had blamed himself, yet so did Nick.

"I wish I could take it back." Nick continued, "I would do anything to go back to the way we were." A small smile formed at his lips as he tried to reassure the others. "I miss you guys.."

"So.. This is your idea? To bring the band back together? As if nothing happened?" Joe spoke up. He was careful with his words. He wanted to know the truth, but he didn't want to start a fight.

"No." Nick stopped him, shaking his head. "As much as I would love that- It's clear we've all changed. We're all grown up. And throwing ourselves back into something we're not familiar with? It's not fair."

Joe pressed his lips together, trying to make sense of his brothers words.

"So what are you saying?" Kevin asked, glancing over at Joe, who sank back into the couch, a frown plastered on his face.

"I don't know.." Nick sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I don't know..I think we should try again- As brothers. Not as a band."

"Hang on." Joe stopped him. "You wanted to bring the band back, a few days ago? What's changed?"

"Nothing's changed." Nick admitted. "Making music with you guys again, would be amazing. But clearly we need to heal as family- before anything else happens."

Kevin nods, taking all of this into consideration, but wasn't sure what we he really wanted.

"Nick.." He spoke, "When you left, you completely broke us. Joe's been through so much since then. It's been hard on all of us."

"Don't you think I know?" Nick tried, his voice raising slightly, but he quickly calmed himself. "I'm sorry.. I just hate the way things went down. It wasn't supposed to end the way it did."