"No. And we can't just have non-runners running into the maze whenever they feel like it." Frustration seeped into my voice.

"So let's just make this official. Starting from tomorrow, you're a runner."

Gally let out a sigh of disbelief, "Wow."

"Gally-"

"No Fry." He stomped out of the Hall with Frypan behind him.

Tension rose in the air and Thomas's words seemed loud in the quiet room, "Thanks Newt."

"What were you guys thinking? Running into the maze without telling anyone?"

"Newt-"

"No Minho." Jaw clenched I stared at one of my best friends, "You know better than anyone not to take non-runners into the maze."

Maeve made herself heard, "Technically I'm allowed."

"No. I don't care if you're a backup runner, you can't go into the maze unless you're assigned to."

Seeing the hurt on her face, made me come to my senses. This was the first time I'd raised my voice at her. At Minho. And my heart felt heavy.

My eyes shut tightly, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have snapped. Just... don't do it again."

With my final words, I dragged myself out of the council hall and to my room. The voices in my head were loud and I couldn't hear anything but them. That was until someone knocked on the door.

"Come in."

Maeve's head peeked through the door frame, her eyes silently asking if she could sit beside me.

A simple nod was all she needed to shut the door behind her and join me on the bed, as her body faced me.

"I'm sorry." She mumbled

My gaze stayed fixed on the ground, "No. I'm sorry."

"You don't get it Newt. I'm sorry about everything. I haven't been there for you ever since Alby got stung and I know how stressed you've been feeling and us going into the maze probably made that worse. But you have to understand Newt. This could be a step closer to escaping."

"I just don't understand why you didn't tell me." I finally looked up at her, "Do you know how worried I was when I couldn't find you anywhere? Maeve, you mean a lot to me, and I can't stand the idea of you getting hurt."

Her eyes glanced at me full of emotion, "You mean a lot to me too."

There was barely any space between us and I couldn't help but flicker my eyes down to her lips. Taking notice of her doing the same, I slowly started leaning in.

"Newt."

"Yes love?"

The door slammed open and we both jumped apart, "I've been looking for you- oh."

Ashton stood there smirking, "You two need a minute?"

I scratched my neck, "No. Umm, w-what do you need?"

"Girly's awake. Thought Maeve could calm her down since you're a girl as well." Ashton replied and that's when I heard the shouts in the distance

"I'm gonna- I'm gonna see what I can do." Maeve stuttered as she backed out of the room.

The moment she was out of sight, Ashton patted me on the shoulder, "Sorry man."

Maeve:

"Leave me alone!" A female voice yelled out

"Watch your head!"

The boys were shouting as they dodged the rocks thrown by the girl who seemed to be hiding in the watch tower.