As Above, So Below

As they make their way down the left path, Star glances back at Fiona, who watches the ground beneath her feet intently, still afraid of attacks from the mud. Poor filly.

Thankfully, the mud slowly gives way to stone. If there are any true tracks, though, they can no longer be seen. No way of knowing if any horse has been this way now. All they can do is press on and hope for the best.

The end of the tunnel opens to yet another cavern, but this one is drastically different than the last two. Stalactites and stalagmites layer the ceiling and floor. The place is a veritable maze. A pointy, dangerous maze.

"See anything, Sun?" Star asks. She doesn't want to weave through the spikes until she knows it's safe.

Sun shakes her head.

Part of her wants to go back and take the right path instead--perhaps that way will look less deadly. If one of those stalactites loosens and falls on them, they could be shish-ke-horses. Ugh. Now she's thinking like the silly filly behind her. What is the Valley coming to? "OK, then. Let's continue. But everyone, be careful."

They pick their way through the stone spikes, making it to the middle of the cavern. Then the world around them trembles.

Fiona and Quell stumble, slip, then fall on their rumps. Everyone else keeps their feet.

Star looks around, making sure none of the stalactites are about to plummet on them and keeping an eye out for monsters. She isn't sure if it's residual tremors, but the stalagmites near her seem to be moving. A quick glance up, and she sees a few stalactites disengage from the ceiling and skitter like spiders on tiny legs, heading straight for the horses.

Fiona screams. A stalagmite runs toward her.

Mud monsters have been replaced with pointed stone death. What Star would give to have the mud back--if wishes were horses, the Valley would have a serious overpopulation problem. The only solace she has is that not all of the stalactites and stalagmites have come to life. "You know the drill."

"I count ten Pointy Demons coming at us," Sun says. "Let's end them."

Quell and Fiona are still struggling to their hooves as the monsters descend--even Quell can't strike up a song from being jolted so roughly. So, it's up to the others to land the first blows.

Star unleashes a spell at the Pointy Demon heading for Fiona, but all it does is bounce off the hard, stone exterior. "Those things are like shells."

Sun charges and knocks the monster over. "Then we just need to get at the squishy insides. Finish it off, Burn."

He obliges, sending a fireball at the overturned Demon. It screeches while in its death throws.

Fiona is lucky they take out the one after her because she can't find her footing and slips again. The filly is going to have a sore backside when this is all done.

Distracted by the others, Star doesn't see two Pointy Demons coming from behind, and they bowl her over. Her next spell is interrupted during the fall.

Sun trots toward her sister to help, but two others waylay her. She fails to knock them down and they poke at her ribs, bruising her sides. "Those things hurt!"

"Defense then?" Quell asks, now on his feet and ready to keep a beat. He doesn't wait for an answer and strikes up his Rousing Refrain.

Star feels the defensive song envelop her. Music to her ears, it has a great effect deep inside. She lashes out to defend herself against the two Pointy Demons attempting to crawl on her, knocks one over, and sends a Divine Blast straight for its vulnerable underside.