51-55

Chapter 51

"Reed Akkad."

After saying this name, Farrell fell silent.

In the quiet lounge, even the sound of a pin falling to the floor would be heard. Feeling as if he had heard an auditory hallucination, Qi Mu asked, tentative, "Mr. Farrell, excuse me. . . but who is that?"

Farrell was not bored in the least with Qi Mu's inquiry. He smiled and lifted his cup. He repeated it patiently, "Qi, you didn't hear me wrong. I'm talking about Reed Akkad. He went to the National Higher Conservatory of Music in Paris. As far as I know, he is still waiting for a student."

This old man's voice was casual as if he was saying something trivial. But in Qi Mu's ears, it stunned him to stillness.

Reed Akkad, who was he?

Well, the great Master of the violin was over seventy years old, but last year he put on a grand performance with the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra.

Akkad's skill with a violin stood at the top of the world. Due to the difficulty of his play and his fantastical hand-speed, he had a resounding nickname--

--The contemporary Paganini.

This was, of course, also because Akkad's first performance on stage took first place in Genoa's Paganini Competition. However, Akkad's mystical ability truly made the entire world sigh.

Farrell and Akkad went separate directions. The former played each piece with skill and rich emotion. Whenever someone mentioned the latter, despite Akkad having a deep understanding of music, the first thing that came to mind was his dazzling skill.

What Qi Mu least expected. . . this master had entered a music school and became a professor?

He could not help but feel a little doubt in his heart. Qi Mu's brow furrowed, and he looked up at the smiling Farrel. "But. . . Mr. Farrel, as far as I know, Master Akkad is reluctant to accept students."

Akkad was born poor, and he was self-taught. So, when he was young, he threatened that he would never accept a student in his lifetime. He believed that a true master could not be taught by anyone and that only hard self-study could produce a first-class violinist.

Farrell laughed. He sipped his tea and said, "Qi, you are still young. You don't understand an old man. . . in the last ten, twenty, half a year of life, what kind of mentality is that? When we were young, we said a lot, and a lot of it was rubbish. Now, at our age, it is natural to see farther and clearer. That kind of nonsense is stuff we said as children."

Qi Mu took the initiative to renew the tea, and Farrel was a little surprised, then he smiled, "Thank you."

Farrell continued, "Akkad has a terrible temper, but, Qi, he will certainly be a good teacher. When I heard your 《D Major》 last night, I knew you had good skill, and you had an excellent feel for music. Yours was unique and delicate. After chatting with Hill today, I found out you are also good with Paganini's songs."

Hill was Cheng Ting Wen's English name. Qi Mu hadn't expected them to talk about his affairs.

He nodded, "Yes, I prefer Paganini's songs. Whether it's his 24 capriccios or the others, I have practiced them all."

"That's great! Qi, since I spoke with Hill today, she gave me a copy of your performance last night and a few of your other albums. When I return to Europe, I will pass them on to Akkad." Farrell paused then smiled again, "Qi, you don't have to worry. I believe Akkad will be thrilled to have you as a student. I just hope. . . you won't refuse my kindness."

Farrell had learned from Cheng Ting Wen that Professor Karl had tried to take Qi Mu on a student and was rejected.

Professor Karl was also a well-known professor of music. Many of his students were in the world's top orchestras. If Qi Mu could refuse him, then he was also very likely to reject becoming Akkad's student.