"We are not alone, darling. So do as I say, before you get yourself killed."

She didn't look away from him as he hooked an arm around her waist and began tugging her towards the sidewalk again. As they walked, Xynaa looked back over her shoulder and watched as someone moved from the shadows and kneeled over the body.

✦ .  ⁺   . ✦ .  ⁺   . ✦

The man walked Xynaa all the way back to the shop. By the time they had reached the door, the rain was beginning to die down slowly.

Sticking the key into the lock, Xynaa pushed the door open.

"You didn't have to walk me back home, I'm all right."
"Oh, I don't believe you." He said, causing her to raise a brow. "You just saw the aftermath of a burglary gone wrong."

"How do you know that's what it was?"
"Because I've seen too many to count." He murmured, immediately eyeing the bookshelves.

Xynaa shook her head as she tried to recuperate. "You're telling me you've seen this before?"
"You see a thing or two when you're from the same place as me."

"And where would that be?"
He smirked. "It's a secret."

The woman wanted more from the man. As he pulled a book from the shelf and began skimming through the pages, he hummed. "I do rather enjoy the smell of the rain. And with the touch of parchment? Even better."

"What is your name?" Xynaa asked him.

He closed the book and placed it back onto the shelf.

"My name is Astarion." He said. "And you, Xynaa, are very lucky not to have been in the crossfire."

She blinked. "You saw it all, how weren't you?"
"I am very stealthy." He replied.

From the loft, Delphi meowed as she rushed down the stairs and towards her owner.

The cat purred as she rubbed against her leg, eventually catching the scent of Astarion. The cat looked up at the man across the room, and she stiffened.

Xynaa rose a brow. "Delphi?"

The cat's hair rose from its spine as she snarled, hissing as her eyes dilated at the man. Astarion stared down at her, his eyebrows furrowing.

"Delphi, enough."

As Xynaa went to reach for the cat, she panicked and scratched the woman. Wincing, she pulled her hand back as Delphi disappeared up the stairs.

"What the hell? She's never done that."

"Oh, dear. Are you bleeding?"

Staring down at her hand, she noticed the blood trickling down her skin and she sighed. "Damned thing."

Astarion turned as he looked towards the door. "You might want to get that cleaned up. Felines can carry the worst germs."

Xynaa sighed. "It's just a scratch, I'll live."

The man hummed. "Yes. You're lucky it wasn't a leech of some sort. Perhaps a bat, something that would want more."

There was a tension in the air, a type that Xynaa couldn't place. But it was there. And it was thick. He stared at her from the doorway, his nostrils flared slightly as he inhaled.

"Um. . ." She wasn't sure how to end things. "Thank you, for walking me back."

He nodded. "A pleasure, really. I did enjoy our walk together, despite the fact that I am as wet as a sponge."

Xynaa glanced towards the loft. "Would you like something dry?"

"No, I can't stay." He said. "I must go, I've got some important things to deal with. But. . . Thank you."

His words were forced, like they burned his tongue to speak them. He grimaced lightly, exiting the shop.

Xynaa sat in the bath and scrubbed her skin clean. The only place she had blood was her hands, but as she reimagined the scene of the dead man on the ground, she felt as if it were all over her.

She scrubbed until her skin was red and it burned. She allowed the scent of lavender and roses to fill her nostrils, pushing the smell of pouring blood from her memory.

Standing, she wrapped herself in a towel and stepped out before walking into the room. She examined the large scratch on her hand from Delphi, sighing.

"Delphi, what was all of that about?"

The cat meowed as she walked across the room and between her owner's legs.

She sighed. "Apology accepted."