CHAPTER 4

Yusuf drugs Cobb as well, as Saito demands that they move into the second layer of the dream. Ariadne and Arthur hesitate at first, but then agree since the armed forces were closing in. Yusuf rushes back to the warehouse, brings Robert out of the car, drugs him to sleep and places his body inside the van. He steers the van towards the end of the bridge where the rest of the team are waiting. They get inside the van, while also placing Cobb and Mal there, and prepare to enter the second level of the dream while Yusuf drives the van away from the pursuing projections. In the second level, Arthur's dream, Ariadne, Arthur and Saito are inside a hotel, with no clue of Cobb and Mal's whereabouts. Saito coerces Arthur to use the same trick over Robert that he and Cobb attempted to use over him for extraction. Ariadne makes an enquiry to Arthur about the trick to which he answers it to be a method called 'Mr. Charles' where the subject is made to believe the they are in fact dreaming in order to garner trust and prevent the subconscious from attacking them. Arthur states that it's too risky. But Ariadne reminds him that the security is going to be tougher in this level, so they have to try all means necessary to get this job done. Robert, meanwhile, is sitting in a bar, as Arthur goes and sits beside him. Arthur conveys to Robert that he is in a dream state and someone is attempting an extraction on him, and that he is a projection of his subconscious who is here to protect him in such a scenario. But Robert believes none of that and walks away. As Arthur gets up to follow him, he notices Cobb, at the other end of the bar, watching him closely. As he approaches him, Cobb questions Arthur about their location. Arthur realizes that due to the drug, he has no recollection of the previous dream layer. He explains to him about the inception, but carefully leaves details about Mal from their conversation. Meanwhile, as Robert reaches the common area, Mal starts shooting on him. Terrified, he seeks cover. Ariadne spots Robert and rushes to help him. Saito tries to fight off Mal, but is unsuccessful and retreats. Robert asks Ariadne why she is attacking him. To which Ariadne cleverly responds Mal to be one of the extractors, further carrying the idea of 'Mr. Charles'. When asked by him about the source, she names Peter Browning. Ariadne is successful in gaining his trust, as Robert is startled upon hearing this. Ariadne leads him to the basement, and upon reaching, reminds him of the previous dream level, and makes an enquiry about what he can recall from that dream. Robert responds about being kidnapped, alongside Uncle Peter, though he didn't remember Browning being tortured by the kidnappers. In the meantime, Saito reaches the basement holding Robert's projection of Browning captive, followed by Cobb and Arthur. As they regroup, Cobb guarantees the others that he's okay. Browning confesses of him being responsible for the kidnapping as he couldn't let Robert destroy the company that his father created by dividing the assets. He goes on to unfold that there's something his father told him, while his mother was on her death bed, that he has chosen to forget, which will reveal to him the 'truth'. Cobb suggests that the only way to find this out would be to enter Robert's subconscious. Robert allows them the access, as they hook him to the PASIV device. Arthur is worried whether Cobb would be able to choose between reality and dream if somehow Mal appears, but Ariadne ensures him that he'll be okay. Cobb, Ariadne and Saito hook themselves to the device, while Arthur stays back to protect them from the projections and administer a synchronized kick when it's time.