Family Ties

"Will mama be, okay?" Jacaerys Velaryon asked his uncles and aunts as they all sat in the nursery awaiting the birth of his parents' second child and his new sibling.

When Jacaerys was told that he would be an older brother, the toddler was excited, wanting a relationship with his new sibling that his uncles and aunts had with each other. Yes, the Hightower-Targaryens never excluded him, often treating him like the sixth member of their group, but he knew it would be different with a brother or sister of his own.

Now after seeing Rhaenyra's water break and listening to his mother screaming in agony from all the way in her bedchamber, it made Jacaerys rethink his desire for a brother or sister if it caused his mother so much pain.

"Rhaenyra will be fine, Jace. She has a group of dedicated midwives watching over her, I promise." Lilyanna told her nephew as she stood up and pulled him away from his place at the door and towards her siblings.

They had all been herded into the nursery as soon as news of Rhaenyra's labor had circulated the Red Keep. The nursery had become the unofficial place to take the children whenever the Queen or Princess were giving birth, although Lilyanna was sure that this would change once they were all older.

"You sure?" Jacaerys asked, his lips quivering, and his eyes filled with unshed tears.

"I am sure. Nothing is going to happen to your mother." Lilyanna reassured.

Jacaerys allowed his body to relax after hearing those words. Out of all his younger relatives, Lilyanna was the most mature and knowledgeable, if she said that his mother would be fine, than he believed it.

"Hurry Jace. We are going to play The Conquerors!" Aegon jumped up from his place on the floor, holding two wooden swords in his hands.

"Yay!" Jacaerys cheered, using his small legs to run to his uncles.

"I want to be King Aegon!" Aemond said as he took the other sword from his brother.

Aegon scoffed at this, "No way, I am going to Aegon. You can be Aegon's dragon, Balerion."

"But you're always Aegon. Why can't I be him for once?!"Aemond cried.

"Because I'm the oldest and my name is Aegon, so I get to decide who is who." Aegon exclaimed.

"That's not fair!" Aemond said, stomping his feet.

"If you find it so unfair then you should have been born first." Aegon shrugged. "It's not my fault you came out of our mother fourth instead of first."

Aemond glared at Aegon before dropping the sword in his hand and running to Lilyanna and latching onto her, burying his face in her chest to hide his tears.

Lilyanna wrapped her arms around Aemond and rubbed his back. "Aegon, stop making fun of Aemond. Would it really be so bad if Aemond was King Aegon for once?"

"Yes, it would. Aemond should be happy that I am letting him play at all, he is not like any of the conquerors much less my namesake." Aegon said annoyed by their brother's crying, He hated how Aemond would constantly follow him around trying to do everything that he would do, and then make him look bad whenever he refused.

Lilyanna rolled her eyes, "Yes, because you are the conqueror reborn, brother. I am sure you are going to hop on Sunfyre and take over an entire continent as well."

"Whatever," Aegon mumbled before turning to his youngest brother and nephew. "C'mon Dae, Jace. You two will be Visenya and Rhaenys."

Daeron and Jacaerys followed Aegon further into the room, reenacting the Three Conquerors takeover of Westeros.