Sirius tried to keep a straight face because if he didn't, there would be consequences and his dear mother already scolded him once on his posture. Usually he didn't care about consequences, but he decided that it would be best to avoid any punishments before his departure to school. He was scared that Walburga and Orion might forbid him from going. Although the chances of the Black family heir not attending Hogwarts were slim, he didn't want to risk it.

"As a student there, I completely agree, father. There is so much filth crowding the corridors that it is laughable. Not even Filch can scrub the dirt they leave behind.", Lucius said while putting a hand on his father's shoulder and sipping champagne.

Abraxas nodded in approval and then turned back to Sirius, "What are your thoughts on this topic, young Sirius?"

This is the part where he should have just repeated the already written speech his mother prepared, but something in his soul didn't let him. It was like the words were magically pulled out from his throat, "I think, Mr. Malfoy, that I will have to see for myself on the 1st of September. It's only in a couple of weeks so I will be glad to owl you my opinions then?", there was a slightly irritated tone to his voice that Orion hated, but he could not help himself. No matter how much he tried, his personality always won against common sense.

Abraxas raised an eyebrow at that statement. It was quite clear that this answer wasn't what he had expected, "Well, that is an interesting opinion for a Black heir. No need for the letter, I'm sure Lucius will inform me on your thoughts."

Sirius detected the overly sweet tone of his voice which meant only one thing. It hasn't even been a full hour of this event and he already screwed up.

Nonetheless, the blond man continued, "Of course, as a future Slytherin, you don't have to worry too much. At least you won't be spending your free time with mudbloods. I suspect that you will keep him company, Lucius?", he gave his son a meaningful look which Sirius immediately recognized. The question wasn't a question at all. It was an order.

"Certainly, father."

Maybe this was the only time in his life that his and Lucius' face will match perfectly, both had a fake toothy smile.

As the silence fell over them, Sirius saw the perfect opportunity to escape this pointless conversation, "I am looking forward to it. If you'll excuse me, Mr. Malfoy, I have to see what my little brother is doing.", he nodded at the two of them and turned around in search for his rescuer, Regulus.

He never liked the way his family talked about muggleborns. In his mind, if they are really that terrible, they wouldn't be attending Hogwarts in the first place. Sirius never voiced his opinion on this topic only because of one reason. He didn't want to be wrong.

Although he believed in his opinion, he has never truly met a muggleborn wizard or witch, so he decided to keep quiet until his theory was confirmed, which he was certain will happen on the 1st of September.

The ballroom at 12th Grimmauld Place was full of lavish dresses and black suits. It didn't matter if you were three years old, in this situation you were wearing an expensive suit. Everything was so monotone and blended together, that Sirius had trouble finding his little brother.

Finally, after fifteen minutes of searching, Sirius saw him behind the main table which held the drinks. Of course, the two brothers were not of age, so all they could drink was water. Although it had to be in a champagne glass for the more extravagant look. Sirius found this ridiculous and complained to Walburga and Orion, but was quickly silenced with their threatening looks.

Dark, curly hair gave Regulus away. Sirius was sure that he would be able to spot that hair in any crowd since he saw the same one every morning in the mirror.