4. Blank Canvasses

________________April 24th, 2024

________________
April 24th, 2024

I didn't feel like writing in the past couple of days. I've been very lost in my head and...I've been painting!

During the weekend I've watched some of the Arctic Monkeys music videos, starting with the most recent ones.
Out of all The Car ones, my favorite is the Body Paint one, for obvious reasons. Not only its cinematic nature and the retro aestethic, but the whole idea and theme of movie production resonates with me so strongly. Reminded me so much of John. He would have loved it.

I loved the Tranquility Base ones for their cinematic vibes as well, especially the one for the title track. They nailed the location and the imagery. It really gives the idea of the Hotel and Casino depicted in the song (well, the album)!

The videos for the AM singles made me giggle. He went through a little rockabilly phase I see, with the quiff and the leather jackets. Cute.

I didn't go further back than AM 'cause I trailed off to some live videos.
I saw a few for different "eras" if we want to call them like that, and seeing Alex's evolution on stage was quite interesting.

I watched a few of the Last Shadow Puppets with my jaw all the way to the floor! I'm curious to know what persona he was incarnating there, 'cause it's so much different respect to what came before and after that. He looked so handsome there. I dig the longish hair and the clean face. I'm intrigued and I will watch more, but I was too curious about the Tranquility Base and The Car eras. I can see how the Last Shadow Puppets persona sipped though AM Alex and created the Tranquility Base one: a (little too wild in the 70s) crooner, sitting on the piano while singing The Ultracheese.

I was a little thrown off by the goatee, but once I got used to it, I started thinking that it made him look distinguished. It gave him the look of an old times gentleman, and  with the addition of the longish wavy hair, he almost looked like a prince, or a knight.

In The Car era he perfectioned the live persona. I'm glad that they used Sculptures as opener, what an entrance. Alex's hypnotizing gestures and the stern interpretation, paired with the lights, made for an epic start.

Glad to see that Body Paint was explosive live too, actually even more so, as they added a whole new ending that went on for minutes, in which everyone on stage lost it a bit. So fun. I love how Alex let himself go during that part, getting almost sexual at moments. I admit I blushed a couple of times seeing his hips movements and his expressions as he almost made love with his guitar while down on his knees.

Back on the music videos: I wish they made more for Tranquility and The Car. I liked the one for Sculptures, again, for the cinematic frames and film references. I loved the colors too, the perfect palette for the song.

I've been a bit fixated with that song in the last few days. I found myself listening to it and slow dancing with my eyes closed, a few times. Damn his vocals are smooth in that one.
I close my eyes and all these visuals instantly appear behind my eyes. I want to paint all those songs. Not painting the music, like the aforementioned Kandinsky, but the images evoked by it.
It happens with all the songs in that album, but Sculptures was particularly inspiring this past weekend.